Upstate NY Babies
Options

French Onion Soup

It's all I want lately but I need a good recipe.  Any tried and true delicious recipes?

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Second Birthday tickers BabyName Ticker

Re: French Onion Soup

• Options

DH and I love french onion soup, and I've tried quite a few recipes, none of which were keepers. Until I found this crockpot recipe (someone on the board posted it last year) I think we've made it at least 4 or 5 times and it's soooo good!

A few modifications I make- add a bit of dried herbs (I like herbs de provence or thyme) and don't use the rice bread (not sure if the person who originally posted is gluten free or what) just use your favorite crusty bread, toast on a cookie sheet in the oven (or toaster oven) then fill each bowl w/ soup and float the crouton in the bowl, cover w/ cheese and broil for a few minutes... don't put the bread right in the crockpot like the recipe states. Sometimes I caramelize some onions on the stovetop and add them to the crock about 1/2 way through cooking... but I've done it w/out and it's just as good.

yum... I need to add this recipe to the menu next week! 

• Options

We carmelize huge amounts of onions and save them in frozen batches.

We also make our own croutons - crusty baguettes.

So then we just make broth with buillion, add the onions, float a layer of croutons on top, and then add slices of swiss gruyere.  Pop in the oven under the broiler and it is ready pretty quick.

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Alright I'm going to give it a whirl next week, as long as I remember to add the things to the shopping list!  Thank you both!
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Second Birthday tickers BabyName Ticker
  • Options
    imageNikCole:

DH and I love french onion soup, and I've tried quite a few recipes, none of which were keepers. Until I found this crockpot recipe (someone on the board posted it last year) I think we've made it at least 4 or 5 times and it's soooo good!

A few modifications I make- add a bit of dried herbs (I like herbs de provence or thyme) and don't use the rice bread (not sure if the person who originally posted is gluten free or what) just use your favorite crusty bread, toast on a cookie sheet in the oven (or toaster oven) then fill each bowl w/ soup and float the crouton in the bowl, cover w/ cheese and broil for a few minutes... don't put the bread right in the crockpot like the recipe states. Sometimes I caramelize some onions on the stovetop and add them to the crock about 1/2 way through cooking... but I've done it w/out and it's just as good.

yum... I need to add this recipe to the menu next week! 

This is my go to recipe! I modified it as well, on the same lines as above. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"