Babies: 0 - 3 Months
Options

baby won't take bottle

One of my friends has a 7week old baby girl who refuses to take the bottle.  She reluctantly took the bottle with warmed EBM at about 2 weeks, and was getting about one bottle per day when she suddenly refused that bottle (Tommy Tippee).  So they have tried other bottles to no avail.  With the Tommy Tippee she MIGHT get 2 oz in after an hour long battle.  The mom and dad have tried every positioning, temperature change, etc that she can to get her to take the EBM through a bottle (and the mom is a NICU nurse so she has plenty of experience with feeding difficult to feed babies).  So mom has to go back to work for 12 hour night shifts soon and is concerned about how her daughter can eat.  What are your suggestions?  (P.S. Mom thinks that the baby is turned off from the texture of the bottle/nipple but really isn't sure.)
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: baby won't take bottle

• Options

imagekris_kelsey:
    One of my friends has a 7week old baby girl who refuses to take the bottle.  She reluctantly took the bottle with warmed EBM at about 2 weeks, and was getting about one bottle per day when she suddenly refused that bottle (Tommy Tippee).  So they have tried other bottles to no avail.  With the Tommy Tippee she MIGHT get 2 oz in after an hour long battle.  The mom and dad have tried every positioning, temperature change, etc that she can to get her to take the EBM through a bottle (and the mom is a NICU nurse so she has plenty of experience with feeding difficult to feed babies).  So mom has to go back to work for 12 hour night shifts soon and is concerned about how her daughter can eat.  What are your suggestions?  (P.S. Mom thinks that the baby is turned off from the texture of the bottle/nipple but really isn't sure.)

No disrespect when I say this but if mom is a NICU nurse and hasn't called the doctor with all her number of interventions...there is a bigger problem here.  My son didn't know how to feed from a bottle for the first few days but I just had to support his chin and after that..he's a power guzzler...4oz two weeks later every 4-5 hours......bottom line, she needs to call the doctor. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    has the EBM been frozen then defrosted? I always suggest smelling it for high lipase content whenever someone says their LO is refusing a bottle of EBM. I found out this problem with my milk after my DS started refusing it...it's foul smelling/tasting but harmless. 
    4thofJuly2012-cpd
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers
    after 10 weeks of bedrest for contractions and shorting cvx they arrived at 32 weeks!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    It is fresh EBM so the lipase isn't an issue.  The baby breastfeeds well without difficulty and is growing and thriving, she just won't take a bottle.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"