Preemies

Fast heart rate?

Michael's HR was always mid 100s. Last night i noticed it running closer to 180-190 and today we did kangaroo care and he kept setting off the alarms at 200-220! They thought maybe he got hot so they let him settle a bit but he was still running high. The nurse then switched out his cpap to a different style, thinking maybe the other one was causing a little pain. Nothing changed. They drew some labs today and the numbers are ever so slightly elevated and they are not sure if it's from the steroids that just ended early Tuesday or if he really has some type of infection. They are going to go ahead and start abx just to be safe. I am going back down after their 7pm shift change and will ask the docs, but what in the world would cause the fast HR? what should I be asking?
6/28/10: Lost our sweet baby Addyston at 18wk 1day to pPROM 7/24/11: Michael William born at 24wk 2d due to IC after an emergent cerclage at 18wks, 4wk home BR and 2 weeks hospital BR. Grow strong our little Miracle! 9/17/11: Michael joined his sister in heaven after 8 amazing weeks with us on earth. He fought a very hard fight but NEC was too much for him in the end. Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Re: Fast heart rate?

• I'm sorry he is having a rough day! Has he had any procedures or medication changes lately? I know DD's heartrate was always all over the place after eye exams (I HATED those days!) either because of the stress, the medication or both. That's my only idea. I hope you get some answers tonight!
  • The times Gabe's HR were high was when he was having tummy issues (he sometimes got a bloated belly- for no reason that they could see).  Also, the days he had procedures done to him his heart rate would be higher.  Also, right after his caffeine it would increase, though not super high.  It was noticeable for an hour though, and then it went back down. 
    Born at 31w3d due to severe IUGR & Placental Insufficiency--2lbs 3ounces

We'll miss you sweet Debbie Girl (4.21.12) and sweet Cindy Girl (8.9.12)
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

• Loading the player...
  • Has he started any new treatments lately? Jack's HR was always elevated after his breathing treatments or if he was mad or in pain. I hope they figure it out soon!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • DS's HR would usually climb during Kangaroo care. The nurses always assured me that it was normal and that it can mean that he is excited/happy. However, 200-220 is pretty high. Caffeine would definitely do it.
  • My son's heart rate was always so high...tachypnec is what they called it when he was in there.  I know he had an infection (GBS Sepsis) and the better the infection got, the better his breating got. But even after we took him home, his breathing was still very fast (even family members questions me about it).  It took about a month after we got him him for his breathing to return to normal.  But I remember the monitors always being at 180-190. One time it got down in the 140s and we were soooo happy!!

The doctors did not seem too overly concerned about it.

They also attributed it to the stress of his birth and said it would get better with time.

Good Luck, Sweetie!

• Sorry I am late responding. It was a crazy day yesterday both in and out of the NICU. The only change in his treatment was the steroids dropping off. He also spiked a fever yesterday so they did a spinal tap to make sure they were covering their bases. So far nothing has grown on the blood or spinal cultures. He did have a slightly elevated WBC but they said it could just be that he has something viral or it could be from the steroids. They are going to go ahead and continue the abx for 48 hours just to rule everything out. His fever did break yesterday afternoon and as of 9:30 when I left last night his heart rate was slightly lower, in the 170s instead of 190s+. I am on my way in now and I'm hoping it dropped some overnight and the cultures still show zero growth.
    6/28/10: Lost our sweet baby Addyston at 18wk 1day to pPROM 7/24/11: Michael William born at 24wk 2d due to IC after an emergent cerclage at 18wks, 4wk home BR and 2 weeks hospital BR. Grow strong our little Miracle! 9/17/11: Michael joined his sister in heaven after 8 amazing weeks with us on earth. He fought a very hard fight but NEC was too much for him in the end. Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"