June 2011 Moms

This FTM needs help!! Is she teething??

My poor DD has been wailing all night and all day yesterday.  She's drooling a ton, and anything I give her she takes her hands and shoves it in her mouth and starts gnawing.  She doesn't suck her pacifier anymore, she chews it.  I've finally gotten a moment of calm only because I stripped her down and she's enjoying being in only her diaper.  I've looked at her gums and I *think* I see little bumps, but I have no clue what to look for.  I'm just delirious from all of the crying, and it breaks my heart to see her cry so much.  Do I call the pedi? I don't want to start giving her medicine if it's just gas or something.  How do I know??

Help!

photo Untitled-1_zps25768757.jpg 

BabyFruit Ticker
Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

Re: This FTM needs help!! Is she teething??

• Her gums "should" be swollen and you might be able to feel hard ridges beneath the gum line. They sell stuff over the counter for babies for teething but you can also use baby acetaminophen (.4ml probably for her size). I would also recommend getting teething rings or whole pickles. The pickle is too large for her to choke on but the cold and firm makes it great for her to chew/gnaw on.

FWIW for my LO, I can tell when something is just gas because he sticks his tongue out a lot and turns red and kicks his feet. If your LO is putting her fist in her mouth and drooling and is extremely fussy, it's likely the teething process is starting for her. Good luck!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • My LO does this when dehydrated-- I nurse her like crazy and pump her little legs (the screaming gives her gas)- the first chewing I think is half self-soothing discovery of hands, half hunger.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • In addition to what pp said, my mom said that all of her kids' urine smelled like ammonia when we were teething. 

BabyFetus Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"