Babies on the Brain
Options

I have been defeated by a 2 year old

Colin has become a horrible sleeper and fights naps and bedtime like crazy. He still (well up until a week ago) took 2-3 hour naps and he really does need it. However, the past 2 days he's only taken a 30 minute nap and is miserable. He gets up hours earlier than normal too, so I know it's just a phase, but it sucks since it makes him cranky.

Well, tonight we ran out to get a quick dinner before a few of DH's friends were coming over to play xbox. We just went up to Boston Market and are sitting there eating and Colin has decided that he won't eat (he's also become a horrible eater). So, he took a chunk of mac n cheese and chucked it at the table next to me. I wanted to die. Then, as we are apologizing to them, he starts shrieking. So, I grab him and walk him outside to the car immediately because I'm not going to subject the other poor people to anything else.

This kid does not listen. He doesn't eat. He doesn't sleep. I am so frustrated with him and I hate that I have been yelling out of sheer frustration. We have tried time outs, 1-2-3 Magic, the 'thinking jar' that's floating around Pinterest (yeah- that one got thrown on the ground and exploaded which sent liquid glitter everywhere).

To make me feel worse, we get home and he starts breaking out in hives and having trouble breathing. So, he was definitely exposed to something he's allergic to, even though that entire restaurant is supposed to be safe for him. So, gave him Benadryl, lots of his inhaler, and I'm sitting here staring at him on the video monitor to make sure I don't need to Epi-Pen him (breathing is getting much better). So, now I just feel terrible for being frustrated with him even though that's obviously unrelated to the reaction. 2.5 year olds are freaking challenging. lol

Re: I have been defeated by a 2 year old

• Options
    I'm sorry. I have no advice but would like to offer you a very big hug and a large glass of wine. I think you handled all of that amazingly. :)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    Oh I'm sorry you're having a rough day. 2.5 year olds can be very difficult.  Ezra is refusing naps too, but he totally needs them. It makes for a difficult day.
    Baby #1 edd 4/21/07 - Matthias James born 5/2/07, 9 lbs, 22 in

Baby # 2 edd 11/26/08 - Ezra Jacob born 11/29/08, 9 lbs 6 oz., 21 3/4 in

Baby #3 edd 05/04/13 - Titus Jude born 05/01/13, 9 lb 5 oz. 21.5 in

• Loading the player...
  • Options

::::hugs:::

My DD goes through random HORRIBLE sleep spells like that.  I hope it passes soon for you!  I know exactly what you mean by being defeated... sometimes they are just so darn willful and stubborn.  Hang in there...you're doing a great job!!

Meeting her hero...
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Options

You are not alone. Logan has been running me into the ground day after day lately! I feel so so bad that I yell at him, but good Lord what happened to my sweet little boy? He's rough, he screams, he throws tantrums, he hits when he's mad...I could go on. My child sounds like a monster that I've just described - and mostly he's not, but more often than not in the past few weeks I just lose it with him.

I honestly just hope it's just a phase, because I can't handle this for much longer! He does not nap anymore, so he's overly tired, cranky, still doesn't want to go to bed at night. Wakes up hours earlier than "normal".

I'm comforted in reading your post though, that it's not just me. My worse fear is having a spoiled brat for a child, or a defiant child. And DH tries to tell me that he's 2, he's testing limits and trying to figure out what he can get away with....but still it's so disheartening to think that my child could act like this.

Hugs to you, I hope it gets better for both of us! And I hope Collin is feeling better soon.

• Options
    imageFiremansWife2009baby:

You are not alone. Logan has been running me into the ground day after day lately! I feel so so bad that I yell at him, but good Lord what happened to my sweet little boy? He's rough, he screams, he throws tantrums, he hits when he's mad...I could go on. My child sounds like a monster that I've just described - and mostly he's not, but more often than not in the past few weeks I just lose it with him.

I honestly just hope it's just a phase, because I can't handle this for much longer! He does not nap anymore, so he's overly tired, cranky, still doesn't want to go to bed at night. Wakes up hours earlier than "normal".

I'm comforted in reading your post though, that it's not just me. My worse fear is having a spoiled brat for a child, or a defiant child. And DH tries to tell me that he's 2, he's testing limits and trying to figure out what he can get away with....but still it's so disheartening to think that my child could act like this.

Hugs to you, I hope it gets better for both of us! And I hope Collin is feeling better soon.

Yes! Colin is exactly how you described. You are not alone!

• Options

My son is doing the exact same things as you all have described.  I'm so thankful for this post, because I also felt that I was alone in all of this!

I know there is a reason for the saying "terrible 2's", but sometimes you feel like you're going to lose your mind. 

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"