Parenting
Options

if your child is super picky about clothing...

any tips for transitioning to a new season, new clothes to be worn?

dd has worn the same few dresses over and over again all summer.  She will occasionally add something new into the rotation but will seriously lose.her.*** if I try to force her to wear something different than the specific dresses that SHE likes and picks herself.  I have humored her all summer b/c it seemed like a silly thing to fight over when the dresses she's choosing are always clean, weather-appropriate, etc.  But, I'm already starting to get nervous for fall about how dd will need to add new clothes into the mix.  I've tried taking her shopping with me but it doesn't work.  She'll tell me she likes something, I buy it, then she refuses to wear it.  I know what "style" she likes but it's still hit or miss within that style parameter. I"ve also tried having her pick out clothes the night before.  Again, unless it's one of hte few dresses that she loves, she'll lose.her.*** in the morning and have 100 excuses for why she should not wear what she'd previously agreed to.   Any suggestions?

she's 3.5 yo.  I should add, there are no underlying conditions/special needs that we're aware of.  my older dd was like this too but has now grown out of it.  I am assuming (hoping!) it's just a phase for my 3yo dd too.

Re: if your child is super picky about clothing...

• Options

Can you add a sweater and leggings to her favorite dresses and have the work at least some in the fall?

DD much prefers dresses with leggins, bike shorts, etc.  I bought her some winter ones in the style she likes.  She helped pick them out.  IF she has to wear pants, esp jeans, I have to explain why and prep/remind her several times the reasons behind hear having to wear these jeans.  (school related!)

I'd start talking to her now ("its going to start getting colder") and give her choses if she wants to shop with you or not.   

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    My son is the same way... I buy him clothes; he wears a select few pieces. He hates jeans, like t-shirts and wind break pants. He only likes cotton pjs with characters. We don't battle too much and he has to wear a uniform to school, but I know their are clothes battles in our future!
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    DD will only wear dresses, leggingg with them in the winter.  I can convince her that tunics are dresses too.  She won't wear shirts b/c "they are not pretty." Confused  She will not wear denim, at all.  I just stocked up on knit cotton tunics and dresses for fall/winter.  Oh and she won't wear anything with blue in it either b/c "blue isn't pretty."
    DS1 age 7, DD age 5 and DS2 born 4/3/12
  • Options
    imageshouldbworkin:
    DD will only wear dresses, leggingg with them in the winter.  I can convince her that tunics are dresses too.  She won't wear shirts b/c "they are not pretty." Confused  She will not wear denim, at all.  I just stocked up on knit cotton tunics and dresses for fall/winter.  Oh and she won't wear anything with blue in it either b/c "blue isn't pretty."
    This is/was my girls too. Luckily DD1 is now in uniforms :o)
  • Options

imageshouldbworkin:

yeah this is basically dd -- certain things are "too weird" and "not pretty" but even within her own preferences, she's not consistent.  i.e. she loves a particular dress in green.  I bought the same dress in purple (which is SUPPOSEDLY her favorite color).  she refuses to wear it.  aaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgggggggggggggggggh

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"