April 2011 Moms

First Feeding Question(s)...

Hello lovelies,

I took a mini bump break but I'm back with a question. Little S is turning five months next week and starting oatmeal (her first solid). I'm wondering a few things:

If you're feeding cereal:

• How much are you feeding? What parts cereal to milk?

• How many times a day? If only once a day, when do you plan on going up to two times a day?

• What time of day are you doing the feeding?

• Are you feeding before or after nursing or a bottle feed?

• Are you feeding the same amount of milk as before?

TIA!

TTC #2
BFP 3/28/16 (EDD 12/9/16) * Chemical pregnancy
ME: 40 yrs.old
DH: 41 yrs.old
DD: 5 yrs.

Re: First Feeding Question(s)...

• LO eats a whole lot more than I expected, I gave him a couple tablespoons at first, but now he is eating about 1/2 cup in a sitting. He has already learned to chew his oatmeal! I make it half oatmeal and half breastmilk.

We feed him the oatmeal once a day, I dont intend to feed it to him more often. I will work up to adding finger foods in during the day. We are doing oatmeal only for now, and will transition to BLW

We feed him oatmeal before his bath in the evening bedtime routine. It is very messy ( I let him feed himself with his hands and help with spoonfuls) so I strip him to diaper, let him eat, then put him in the tub. No stress!

He is on a loose easy routine so nurses, then we play, then he gets oatmeal and a bath, nurses again then sleep.

He hasnt nursed any less since we started with oatmeal, but part of the reason we started it is because he was so hungry in the evenings. We knew he was ready for real food for awhile, but it has been a joy to watch him learn how to eat. He loves it! and I love that he still loves to breastfeed :)

• I'm interested in this as well -

we just started my DS on rice cereal and just follow the box -
    1 tbsp cereal to 4-5 tbsp breastmilk. and we are feeding him in the evenings.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Hiiii!!

I feed her cereal once a day between her 4th and 5th bottle in the evening (around 6 P.M.)

I just mix 1 tablespoon of cereal with about 3 tablespoons of formula.

I am still feeding her the same amount as before, and I don't know when I'll move to 2 feedings a day as she is still somewhat indifferent to the cereal.  

Our sweet girl is 3!

Lilypie - (R7Ux)

• Thanks ladies! This is very helpful.
    TTC #2
    BFP 3/28/16 (EDD 12/9/16) * Chemical pregnancy
    ME: 40 yrs.old
    DH: 41 yrs.old
    DD: 5 yrs.

• I had tried oatmeal a couple of weeks ago once.  My LO was indifferent & seemd to not really know what to do.  Next week she'll be officially 5 months, so I will try oatmeal again & see if she takes to it.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Start with it really watery and go thicker as LO gets used to it.  I think we started with about a tablespoon of cereal.  Now he gets about 2-3 tablespoons of cereal and about 1 tbsp sweet potatoes.  We use formula because I don't want to waste breast milk on oatmeal but supply may not be an issue for everyone.  I feed him in the evening before he is due to nurse.  If he is too hungry he doesn't have patience for solids (at least at first he didn't).  Nurse after also since LO will be thirsty.  He is still getting the same amount of milk.  It's really about practice right now - it's not supposed to be a huge source of calories.  I think we will start 2x a day next week (5 months)
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • I just started oatmeal yesterday.  Right now, we're doing it once a day, and I'm going to send it to daycare because I've been having an ongoing saga getting her to take the bottle.  She basically starves herself all day and then eats all night, and the pediatrician suggested we try to get her to eat solids there instead.

The "recipe" I'm using is one tablespoon oatmeal to four tablespoons breastmilk.  

The plan is she'll get oatmeal in the morning at daycare and hopefully take less milk at night.  I'm going to have them continue to offer the bottle first, though, because I'd rather she have straight breastmilk, but if she refuses, they can try the oatmeal.

We shall see ...

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"