Pre-School and Daycare

I thought I would like preschool more

For some reason, I pictured PS as this great thing.  DD was going to love going because she was going to have so much fun and make new friends, I was going to love getting her ready and sending her because it was my chance to show her off a bit ( Embarrassed ) and spend some alone time with DD2.  My balloon has been deflated.  I am tired of ironing her uniforms.  I hate that I have to get the girls up 1-2 hours earlier than usual to take her to PS, which then throws off their schedules for the rest of the day and makes them crabby all.the.time.  I don't feel like brushing her hair (I usually only do this once a week or so, don't ask).  Packing her snack bag and taking the papers out of her backpack is a chore.  She hates wearing sneakers so I am constantly trying to keep track of the new ones we just had to buy plus all of the socks she sheds in the van.  I don't feel like she fits in with her classmates and am second guessing my choice of preschools.  She says she doesn't want to go anymore and wants to stay home with DD2 and I.  And on top of all this, when DD2 and I get this great alone time, all she wants to do is go play by herself.  At least the field trips and class parties will make it worth it, right?!?!  Oh, and did I mention, tomorrow will be her third day.
Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers 
                         Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Re: I thought I would like preschool more

• Wow,  I was heading on here to post almost the same thing!  I had orientation tonight (sans kiddo), and came away feeling.... lukewarm.  DD was in preschool before we moved across country in January and is just now going back again.  Her last school felt magical.  Her teacher thought she was the best kid in the world, she loved her to pieces and DD was like the queen bee of her class of 2yos.  I felt like her school cared about developing her as a whole person.  Her manners and social graces were amazing for a 2 year old.  Well, we've back-slid big time since she's been out of school.  It's not that I don't make her say please, etc, but there's not the same structure and practice opportunities.  Anyway, this new montessori school talked more about work than I wanted to hear for my 3yo and didn't mention loving kids or teaching or caring for little people or anything.  I want to feel like someone is going to love my child all day, not just teach her to read.  I guess it's partially that it's a multi-age classroom, so they've also got 5 yr olds who need to be learning to read, etc.  I just didn't get any magic.  I'm sure it'll be fine.  I love where we live now, hated where we lived before, but we're missing the relationship piece of a lot of different things.  We had fantastic relationships with out dr, dentist, pediatrician, OB (expecting again), and DD's school.  Here everything is just.... sufficient.  I must sound totally crazy.  Or maybe just grouch-pregnant.  Probably all of the above.  
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • You have to do all of that?!  Wow.  Our preschool (Catholic school) is just a drop off at 12 and pick up at 3pm.  They don't wear uniforms until Kindergarden and the parents sign up for snacks for the week.  I give them a bath the night before and they get dressed themselves.

But, I'll be where you are next year when DS1 starts Kindergarden.  It's just the first few days that you have to adjust, and then you'll have a routine.  Just take it slow.  If there are things you can get ready the night before, do it!  Cuts time down in the mornings. : ) 

BabyFruit TickerLilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers image image
  • Loading the player...
  • ugh - they have uniforms for 3 yo?

I'd look for another, more mellow preschool

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • It will get better.  Today will mark the end of DD's second week of PS, and think we are both started to get adjusted.  She is a young 3 as well (b-day is in July), so I understand your concern.  Also, I have a 7 month old DS at home that DD loves to play with, and I can definitely tell she misses him during the day.  Here is what I do to help with the transition:

1. I iron all of our clothes at night (mine and both children).  Because this is becoming too much of a chore, I've decided that I am going to iron a week's worth of clothes on Sunday nights.  That way, I won't have to worry about it again all week.

2. I pack her lunch bag at night when I am washing baby bottles and putting up dinner.  That way, I do not have to make an extra trip to the kitchen.

3. My daughter is black, so I can braid her hair on Sunday nights and keeps it in all week.  Therefore, I can't help you with the brushing of the hair (smile).

4. My DD hates sneakers too, so I put her on cute little slide in shoes instead.  I just make sure they have a back on them so that she can run in them.  Sort of like this: https://www.target.com/p/Girls-Circo-174-Jaye-Plaid-Canvas-Flat-Pink/-/A-12991787#asin=B0041PL3UG

As for fitting in, her teacher says that she rarely talks to anyone (which bothers me), but she does participate and seems to have fun.  She also told me that she likes pre-school, so it bothers me more than it bothers her.  I think once they get used to it, they will begin to make more friends and "fit in" a little more.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Uniforms for preschool? Really? That alone would send me running to another school. My daughter starts the 12th and I can't wait, but it sounds like the school your daughter in is very stressful.

That said, the other stuff all just sounds like an adjustment for all of you. Give it time and she'll warm up to the other kids and you'll all adjust to the new routine! Good luck!

imageimageBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I'm sure things will get better as you settle into a routine..  Can you move in a direction where the kids go to bed earlier so you get the best of both worlds?  It takes a while to settle into preschool, and there were times my 3 year old suddenly didn't want to go any more, but soon enough she was begging me to go.

I can see how the uniforms and stuff would be a hassle.  But even in our preschool (no uniforms), the kids have to wear sneakers, because there are too many accidents in sandals/crocs and because of the outdoor playground.

When I'm home with the younger sibling, she clings to me, and I wish she'd go play so I could actually get stuff done!

Sorry.. it is a huge change and hopefully it will smooth out fast.

• A preschool with uniforms would send me running but besides that - I think you both need time to adjust and you need to come up with a routine that works for both of you.  it has only been 2 days - it can takes kids a few weeks to adjust to a new surrounding and new people and honestly, you are sounding very negative about it in your post and if your DD is picking up on that, that might be part of the issue.  With my kids - we do everything possible the night before - go through the girls school bags, pick out clothes, etc.  How do you seriously only brush your childs hair once a week?  (sorry not to sound mean but even my African American friends tell me they do their DD's hair daily unless they do braids).  If it is that much of a hassle, get a nice cute short haircut which is easier to take care of.  I have curly hair and I know it can be a royal pain to brush - conditioner and detangle spray are magic.  I would give the school at least a month and if you and your DD are not happy, maybe this just isn't the right school for you.  My kids love going to school (one is at a daycare preschool and the other is at a PreK program that is through the public school).  I love both.
    Jenni Mom to DD#1 - 6-16-06 DD#2 - 3-13-08 
  • Ha. We're at a preschool that requires uniforms and I'm actually starting to like it.  No arguments over what to wear in the morning.  No jealousy of what other kids are wearing at school.  They're easily visible on field trips.  It doesn't break my heart if it gets dirty.  They're pretty cute, too. 

Anyway, I'd give it another week or two.  The adjustment stage can be hard for some. You all may end up loving it. If not?  I'd look for another program.  I think preschool is great for kids.

Daisypath Happy Birthday tickers
    Lilypie - (C6hS)

• I'm sorry.  I hope it gets better.

My DD wears a uniform too, but it's a t-shirt and gym shorts.  Super easy and functional.  It's navy and all her hair ties have to be white navy or black-that kind of bugs me, but I got over it.  

Momma to 2 sweet girls here on earth and a precious baby boy in heaven
  • imagemoroccojade:

Ha. We're at a preschool that requires uniforms and I'm actually starting to like it.  No arguments over what to wear in the morning.  No jealousy of what other kids are wearing at school.  They're easily visible on field trips.  It doesn't break my heart if it gets dirty.  They're pretty cute, too. 

Anyway, I'd give it another week or two.  The adjustment stage can be hard for some. You all may end up loving it. If not?  I'd look for another program.  I think preschool is great for kids.

agree.  It takes some time to adjust.  It's our 2nd yr at our preschool, and I love uniforms.  I don't iron them; I just use the dryer.  I like that we don't have to figure out what to wear and that I don't have to worry about him getting his regular clothes dirty.  Hope it gets better.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"