3rd Trimester

Gestational Diabetes??

I had my glucose test today and it was 152.  Doctor wants me to come in later this week and do a 2 hour test.  They didn't tell me to fast for the first one, so I didn't.  I got out of work late and gave into a midnight snack of bag of skittles and dr. pepper.  The test was at 9am this morning but didn't eat or drink anything for breakfast.  Would my midnight indulgence have affected my glucose test?  Otherwise everything looked good.  I lost weight this visit (7.25 months and gained 11lbs total).  The doctor even asked what I was doing because everything has been uncomplicated...completely uneventful. 

Anyone had GD?  What do you have to do for treatment?  All I can find is eating a special diet.  What about insulin? I guess I am in shock because everything has been absurdly normal so far.

Re: Gestational Diabetes??

• I have GD for the second time. I am diet-controlled only. This means that I am allowed only a certain number of carbs for each meal and snack, I test my blood sugars 4 times a day. This so far has kept my numbers in check, some women need insulin because even on the diet their numbers are too high. Take the 2 hour, you might still pass it. If you don't your dr. will have you talk to a dietician and they will guide you through what your diet and plan will be. Try not to stress, once you get the hang of the diet it is not bad.

Here is what my diet looks like:

Take blood sugar when I wake up : needs to be below 90

Breakfast: 40-50 carbs

Take blood sugar 2 hrs. later: needs to be under 120

Snack: 20-30 carbs

Lunch(2-3 hrs. after snack) - 50-60 carbs

Take blood sugar 2 hrs. later: needs to be under 120

Snack: 20 -30 carbs

Dinner: (2-3 hrs. after snack): 50-60 carbs

Take blood sugar 2hrs. later: needs to be under 120

Snack: 20-30 carbs

Your diet may be different, but at least mine gives you an example. Your OB may want slightly different blood sugar numbers as well.

Some tips for you (if you have GD and you aren't able to get into the dietician right away):

Drink lots of water after and between meals: this helps your sugar not to spike

Take a walk after meals: exercise also helps to regulate your sugar

Make sure you have a protein with each snack/meal: this will keep your sugars from spiking and then crashing

Good luck - I hope you pass the 2 hr.

• Thanks for sharing your meal plan.  That helps give me an idea of whats going on.  Did you have to buy a monitor or did your insurance pay for it?  Just curious how much this adventure is going to cost.  :-)
  • Loading the player...
  • It's pretty common (somewhere around 80% I believe) for women to fail the 1 hour but pass the 2 or 3 hour test. 

I'm GD for the second time. Treatment always starts with a carb-restricted, high protein diet. If that doesn't keep your numbers in check, then insulin will be added (or a pill called glyburide, though it's use during pregnancy is still a little controversial). As long as GD is managed well, you can still have a fairly normal, uneventful pregnancy. My pregnancies are pretty boring except for the GD :P

For now, though, don't worry about it. Continue to eat a healthy, balanced diet and follow the directions your doctor gives you for the 2 hour test. If it turns up GD, come visit the high risk board, there are a lot of GD moms over there. 

Mama to two sweet girls
    DD1 Feb 2010
    DD2 Sept 2011

Pregnancy Ticker
  • My insurance did cover the cost of my meter and supplies.

Double check with your insurance company. We had some issues at first because they kept telling us it was not covered and they were right - we were trying to claim it under our prescription plan and it needed to be claimed under our regular medical plan. Once we figured that out and claimed it under the correct department, everything was covered.

Otherwise if we had to pay out of pocket: it would have been close to $1000.

Also I wanted to add: My GD disappeared the moment my baby was born. They tested me after my first meal after birth and I had a meal loaded with carbs and my blood sugar was 86. At 8 weeks post-partum I also had to take the 2 hr. glucose test again (my dr. does it to make sure the GD is actually gone). My blood sugar at the end of the 2 hr was 50! So I am hoping for the same outcome this time around.

• The point of the test is to see how your system deals with sugar on a regular day, that is why they encourage you not to fast. It's much better to find out if you have GD and deal with it than try to fast and kind of "cheat" the test.

So I think you were ok with the skittles and stuff. Your system should have already absorbed it by then.

I had a muffin like 30 minutes before my test lol. I couldn't help it, I was so hungry!

BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker imageimageimageimage
  • imagereason00:

The point of the test is to see how your system deals with sugar on a regular day, that is why they encourage you not to fast. It's much better to find out if you have GD and deal with it than try to fast and kind of "cheat" the test.

So I think you were ok with the skittles and stuff. Your system should have already absorbed it by then.

I had a muffin like 30 minutes before my test lol. I couldn't help it, I was so hungry!

Not all drs. have you take the test this way. Mine has me fast before the 1 hour. It all depends on the dr as to whether you are supposed to fast or not before the 1 hr. I don't think fasting before the 1 hr. is "cheating", if you have GD the glucola drink will spike your sugar anyway.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"