Success after IF

For a 40 year old - turns out I have a pretty sexy FSH....

I finally went in (this past Sunday)for day 3 baseline blood work and u/s to check ovarian reserve.  Just to see what's what. 

My FSH is freakin' 7.  Yes, 7.  I haven't had it checked since I was 36 years old and starting my last cycle (that resulted in Jack) and at that time it was 8.5 (prior reads had always hovered around 7 or 8.)  

I was thoroughly expecting them to tell me 15, or 20, or whatever.  Something high at which point I was prepared to say "well, that's that."  Instead - they tell me it's at ... 7.

Ovarian reserve checked out fine too - 9 easily spotted follicles which is exactly how many they saw 3.5 years ago.   Now - during conversation I had with LOVELY Physician's Assistant (assistant to my RE and partner in crime during my Jack cycle when she and I made all the decisions) - there is no way to determine egg quality - and it's reasonable to assume that at age 40 - it has declined.  But my other stuff - is still rockin'!  Not bad for an old broad.

I still have not decided if we'll pursue other treatments.  My buddy (the Phys. Asst.) says if I do nothing else - get an HSG.  JUST to clear the pipes, and up my chances trying on our own for a subsequent 4 cycles.  That's paid for by my insurance - so we'll probably do it.  Shelling out 3 thou for another injectables/IUI cycle that carries even a slight risk of multiples ... I dunno. Probably not, to be honest.  I know some can't understand that, helll, I can't even understand it, but at the moment, it's where my head is.  DH would be fine with going ahead with one more IUI.  So it's all me being hesitant.  I've been dealing with an incredible amount of stress and anxiety lately - too many things coming to a head - I'm seeing a therapist but really may need to go on meds so that's a factor for me too - have recently been seeing lawyer adds for parents of BABIES BORN DEFORMED DUE TO COMMON ANTI-DEPRESSANTS.  Probably all bulllshiit, but still kind of freaks a person out. 

So I don't know.  All I know is that my freakin' FSH is SEVEN and I'm 40 years old.  

Why am I infertile again?  God only knows.  It's a head shaker, indeed.

Wheee!

"When it comes to sleeping, whatever your baby does is normal. If one thing has damaged parents enjoyment of their babies, it's rigid expectations about how and when the baby should sleep." ~ James McKenna, Ph.D., Mother Baby Behavioral Sleep Center, University of Notre Dame

Re: For a 40 year old - turns out I have a pretty sexy FSH....

• Rock on, momma!  I really hope that whatever may be brings you happiness.  Best of luck going forward.
    DX: PCOS * Success with IVF

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Wow!  That's better than mine and I am 33!  I was wondering what you guys had decided to do.

Good luck.  I think it makes sense to at least do what the assistant suggested.

• Loading the player...
  • Yes you do! Awesome numbers. Good luck with the next steps!
  • Way to go, ovaries! So exciting to be thinking about another cycle!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • VERY sexy. ;)

Good luck with this adventure! :) 

• That's a great start!!! As for antidepressants being teratogens - I do not know the details but I'd venture that in the VAST majority of cases, a well chosen anti-depressant is safe and effective.

I am a runner, knitter, scientist, DE-IVF veteran, and stage III colon cancer survivor.
  • That's awesome!!! :)

Tough decision and I'm sorry you're going through it all, but hopefully your youthful ovaries are on your side!!!

Pregnant with #1 with PCOS and LPD, success with mostly naturopathic treatments
    Our Thanksgiving Day baby 11/22/07

imageimageimage

Pregnant with #2 with LPD, uterine polyp/hysteroscopy, DOR (AMH = 0.17), 2 c/ps
    Our early Christmas present 12/9/10
  • Woohoo! That's great! Sounds like you have a lot of thinking to do. Good luck -- those are some tough decisions that will probably never have clear answers.

I hear ya on the multiples concern. I decided rather abruptly back in March that I wouldn't go through with treatment again, at least partly because we simply couldn't handle having multiples, financially or otherwise. Not gonna risk it.

Pregnancy Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • that's not the only thing sexy...

::::said  in my best creepy stalker voice ::::

;-P

Join us - Commit Random Acts of Kindness, and say "I did it for Cricket" Cricket's Cadence
  • Dang, girl, my 30 yr old FSH level (13ish) is making catty remarks behind you FSH level's back. My current, 34 year old FSH level prefers to remain in the dark about her status for now.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"