Breastfeeding

If lo didn't finish a bottle, how long before I have to dump it?

My lovely MIL fed my DD some pumped milk in that was in the fridge, even though I told her that she wouldn't need to eat while I was gone and that if she got fussy its because she needs a nap...well, they gave it to her anyways.  It was 2.5 ounces, and she only drank .5 ounce of it...go figure.  

It was at 3:30ish that she drank from it, when would you dump it? 

Lilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers

Re: If lo didn't finish a bottle, how long before I have to dump it?

• Yes, definitely.  Unless it was put back in the fridge right after she drank the .5 ounces, it should really be tossed after an hour.  
    DS (7 years old) from FET in 2010
    DD (5 years old) from IUI in 2012
    TTC 3rd and final!: IUI #1 in progress!
  • imageAimeeL85:
    Yes, definitely.  Unless it was put back in the fridge right after she drank the .5 ounces, it should really be tossed after an hour.  

I've never heard the "hour" rule for anything besides formula.  We use it within 4 hours and have no issues.  But, we do refrigerate it.  Even that anti-infective properties of breast milk are no match for saliva. 

Since it was fed at 3:30, I would dump it.  

Born at 31w3d due to severe IUGR & Placental Insufficiency--2lbs 3ounces

We'll miss you sweet Debbie Girl (4.21.12) and sweet Cindy Girl (8.9.12)
    Lilypie Premature Baby tickers

• Loading the player...
  • it can be used for the next feeding, a few hours later (I'd toss it in the fridge although depending on who you ask, it may be OK at room temp).

If it's longer than 4ish hours, I'd dump it.

If it's been 2 hours in the fridge?  I'd feed it.

• If it was put right back in the fridge, then I'd use it for the next feeding.  If it was sitting out or the next feeding isn't within 4-5 hours then I would toss it.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imagekatie4253:

imageAimeeL85:
    Yes, definitely.  Unless it was put back in the fridge right after she drank the .5 ounces, it should really be tossed after an hour.  

I've never heard the "hour" rule for anything besides formula.  We use it within 4 hours and have no issues.  But, we do refrigerate it.  Even that anti-infective properties of breast milk are no match for saliva. 

Since it was fed at 3:30, I would dump it.  

I would use it after 4 hours also but only if it had been refrigerated like you do. This was from Kellymom and most other sites I've looked at.

DS (7 years old) from FET in 2010
    DD (5 years old) from IUI in 2012
    TTC 3rd and final!: IUI #1 in progress!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"