Babies: 0 - 3 Months

Pumping Question

Hello,

When do you ladies pump? I find it a bit difficult to space out DS feedings and pumping. DS eats every 3 hours or so, and pretty much depelets at least one boob. I also try and sleep when he sleeps which doesnt leave a lot of time for pumping. The last couple of days I have been waiting an hour after I feed him to pump which has been working, but I am sleeping less. Is there something that you ladies are doing differently? Also I can generally get the first 2 to 3 oz quickly and then its like pulling teeth to the point of where I give up, put the bottle in the fridge, and try again in a few hours. I would like to build up a supply, but the good old fashion breastfeeding is so much easier - for me at least. 

TIA. 

Re: Pumping Question

• Depending on how long DS nurses, I either pump right afterwards or an hour or so later. He's sleeping for 2 4-hour stretches at night right now so I could get up to pump at night if I wanted to, but I'm not. Pumping is definitely more time consuming that just nursing. I don't think there's any way around having to sacrifice something (sleep, free time, etc) to build up a freezer stash unfortunately.

Married: '06 - Mom of 3 boys: '08, '11 & '14

• Are you planning on going back to work? Is that why you are trying to pump? If I pump, I only do it once in a day and it is right after my little one is done eating or if she ate a bottle I'll pump around that hour. My lactation consultant told me if your production is low there are a few reasons why. You produce less in the middle of the day and if you are on your period. Also stress will cause you to produce less. I normally pump anywhere from 2 to 5 oz lately. The only time I ever pumped more than 5 oz was right home from the hospital and my milk was just coming in and my boobs were engorged. Hope I helped!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • 2 or 3 oz so soon after your child eats is really good I would say. Are you using a single pump or a double electric? I use my single one here and there and my double (just started 2 days ago) at night after I put DD to bed.

She sleeps for about 4 hours the first stretch at night starting around 8 so I pump at 10 before I go to bed and get between 4-6 oz. between the 2 sides. I freeze in 5 oz increments and save abit in a bottle to use sometime in the next day or two or I add it to milk set to be frozen. Slowly but surely you will get some milk set aside.

Good Luck!

• I find it most efficient to do it first thing in the morning because I have a lot of milk then.  I sit against the arm of the couch on the side that DD will nurse on, and use the football hold.  She lays on the boppy with the arm of the couch holding her close to my side.  Then I hook up the pump on the other side.  I usually get 3-4 oz. each day.  

Doesn't take any more time than feeding, and since she's nursing on one side, let down isn't an issue.  Some days she's not satisfied with one side only, but those days I just offer the other breast about an hour later.  The one side is enough to get her to then. 

Mommy to Annabelle Emma (05.07) and Lila Mary (06.11)
  • I just talked with a LC today about this same question.  She said your milk supply is at the fullest in the early morning.  So she said to pump after I feed LO first thing in the morning.  He usually eats between 5 and 6 am for the first time of the day, so she said to pump right after that.  She also said after 2-3 days my body will 'know' that I am pumping and my supply will increase.

GL :) 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"