3rd Trimester

TAKE MY ADVICE!

2»

Re: TAKE MY ADVICE!

• My eyes almost rolled right out of my head when I read this post.

Not worth the 2 cents posted.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    DMoney will be a kickass big sister
    Lilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • imageJhawkCE:
    imageT&HLove:

imageruby soho:
    I think I will take the advice of the AAP instead.

ditto

ETA: it also kind of worries me that a family practitioner who could potentially be giving actual new parents advice doesn't know this......

This is a bit much. She's a FP which means she sees a wide range of patients from birth to death. You can't expect your physician to be up on all literature for every age group and illness. If you think you spend a lot of time in the waiting room now, just think about how long you would be there if they had to sift through all of those constantly changing recommendations. There are only so many medical journals you can read esp when you're trying to enjoy your own family with what little off time you have. Her biggest mistake here was presenting a suggestion as a dictatelike someone's MIL to a bunch of hormonal women who are sick of being told what to do by every checkout kid and grandma they pass. Moral of the story is every kid is diff. Do what gets you through the day....or night as the case may be.

No, I don't think its too much to ask that a FP know the BASIC SIDS prevention recommendations that can be found in just about any SIDS literature, pamphlet, etc.

• Loading the player...
  • imagePoppywedding:

Hummm, just curious??

I am a Family Practitioner - have I missed something in the recent AAP literature?

Perhaps I need to update my hospital's database. What is the latest?

This is why I chose a pedi. I think it is rather bizarre that a family practitioner finds it appropriate to tell new moms that we must do what she does because clearly it is the only thing that works.

SO TAKE MY ADVICE & do some research on different sleeping styles, you might find it isn't a one size fits all.

someecards.com - I support Newt Gingrich's idea of colonizing the moon if it'll help me get away from Newt Gingrich.

My baby is two!!! Baby girl 9/17/09

My other baby is still a baby! Baby Boy 11-30-11

• This is just like any other advice - it works for some, doesn't work for others.  Glad it worked for you but some babies are different and like one poster said, she doesn't want to trek up stairs for multiple middle-of-the-night feedings. 

Btw - having one baby doesn't make you an expert.  I can't wait until you have another (if it's in your plans) and everything you "thought" you knew is thrown out the window.  Happens to the best of us.

• our first DD was in a bassinet in our room for 3 months and transitioned into her crib just fine but thanks for your "expert" advice Confused
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Well, my daughter wouldn't sleep in her crib as a newborn. She would just cry and cry and cry, and I wasn't about to let a newborn cry herself to sleep. We had no problems transitioning her to her crib, though. One night when she was about 2.5 months old, I just decided to put her down in there to see what happened. She slept fine. There was no drama or anything. 

And sleeping through the night at 4 months is not the norm. Most 4 month old babies need to wake up and eat during the night.

My advice is to be flexible. What works for one person and one baby might not work for you or your baby.

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • OP, you will learn a lot in the coming months. DD slept in her own crib just fine (after 2 weeks of sleeping in the PNP beside my bed), but just because your LO is sleeping at 4 months doesn't mean it will keep happening. Teething, growth spurts, and learning new things can all make sleeping difficult.

Besides that, some people actually WANT their kids in the room with them. *gasp*

• This thread makes me gigglesnort. 

imageimage 

Unable to even.  

You don't understand the appeal of Benedict Cumberbatch / think he's fug / don't know who he is? WATCH SHERLOCK.  Until you do, your negative opinion of him will not be taken seriously.

• imagememali26:

Some babies transition just fine. DD was in our room for 6 months. The move to the crib in her own room didn't faze her a bit. 

And 4 months to sleep through the night is NOT longer than usual. Go visit the toddler boards and see how many aren't STTN yet, or didn't start STTN until 10 or 12 months like my DD. 

Every baby is different. The perfect situation for you and your baby won't be the perfect situation for every mom and their baby.

YesYes

Mc 6/2/08 at 6w2d * CP 11/22/08 * CP 1/21/09 - Dx compound heterozygous MTHFR 3/23/09 - BFP 3/24/09
  • I think any post that is titled, in all caps, TAKE MY ADVICE, is generally going to be advice that is perhaps misguided.
  • imageromigu:
    ideally, I would love to do that but, realistically, I don't think I will have the energy to go upstairs to the baby's room every two hours for a feeding. 

This. The nursery is upstairs, and currently our bedroom is downstairs. We have plans to move upstairs but when she's a couple of months old. I don't think I'll have the energy to go upstairs every 1-2 hours when she needs to eat.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• I had my son in his pnp in our room and then switched him to his crib with no problem
  • My daughter slept in a bassinet in our room until about 4 or 5 months old. And the first month she slept in bed with us, because that is just the kind of baby she was.

When we transitioned her to her crib she was completely fine, and everyone says how great of a sleeper she is.

I have a feeling this next baby might be the total opposite. There is no one size fits all here. I plan on having the new baby sleep in the bassinet in our room again. I loved it, and it really helped with those late night breastfeeding sessions.

Lilypie Maternity tickers Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • imagePoppywedding:

Ruby Soho:

p.s. Are any of you little ones names Ruby, b/c that is my husbands favorite name?!

Yes, I have checked with the AAP website and you are correct. I will educate my OB colleagues!   https://www.healthychildren.org/English/ages-stages/baby/sleep/pages/A-Parents-Guide-to-Safe-Sleep.aspx

At any rate, I am a TERRIBLE sleeper and have loved the peace and quiet that has recently come come with Amelia now snoozin' all night long.

Ya'll are a feisty bunch and I love the opinions!

So fun, keep the post coming!

Indifferent Yes you educate those darn OBs......... I would rather ask a PEDIATRICIAN.

• imageJhawkCE:
    imageT&HLove:

imageruby soho:
    I think I will take the advice of the AAP instead.

ditto

ETA: it also kind of worries me that a family practitioner who could potentially be giving actual new parents advice doesn't know this......

This is a bit much. She's a FP which means she sees a wide range of patients from birth to death. You can't expect your physician to be up on all literature for every age group and illness. If you think you spend a lot of time in the waiting room now, just think about how long you would be there if they had to sift through all of those constantly changing recommendations. There are only so many medical journals you can read esp when you're trying to enjoy your own family with what little off time you have. Her biggest mistake here was presenting a suggestion as a dictatelike someone's MIL to a bunch of hormonal women who are sick of being told what to do by every checkout kid and grandma they pass. Moral of the story is every kid is diff. Do what gets you through the day....or night as the case may be.

Oh I agree, a FP isn't always going to be up to date and know EVERYTHING about EVERY age group... which is why its worrisome that she is giving the advice in the first place. I hope my Dr. would only give me the advice they are sure on

photo 22e3a93e-8933-4ed0-acf4-72665341621b_zpsd73ca8f6.jpgp>

"What did my fingers do before they held you? What did my heart do with it's love?"

CafeMom Tickers

Follow Me on Pinterest

• Wow everyone is sooooo touchy today. Glad I'm not the only one. My oldest started sleeping 8 hours a night at 3 weeks old, in her bed in our room. My second didn't sleep in our room and didn't STTN till she was 4 years old. My son never slows down but has STTN since he was about 6 months old. He also slept in a bed in our room. This LO will be in his bed in my room and hopefully will transition as easily as his siblings, but yes it is to each his own.... Just chill ladies. This proud mama simply wanted to try and be helpful.... it's not a command or something you will get chastised for if you don't follow it, so try not to be so hard on her.
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • This is good advice, but know that whatever your sleeping arrangements are for the first couple months, it won't affect whether the baby can sleep alone later. For sure do it before 4-6 months old, but a couple months of cosleeping or basinette sleeping will not ruin a child's sleep habits.
  • imageangel2288:
    That may have worked for you, but im AP all the way in this department. I bf my son, and co-slept with him until he was 3...then he transitioned to his own bed in his own room. He still comes into bed with me in the morning, or when it storms out, but thats common for toddlers, from what i hear from my friends who had their kids in their own crib, in their own room from day one at least.

Glad this works for you, but my toddler does not come into my bed and never has and I am THANKFUL of that. I have fiends who complain about it and I'm glad I don't have to deal with it. I coslept with her when she was tiny but past a certain point, she always slept in her own bed.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"