3rd Trimester
Options

TAKE MY ADVICE!

So I am a VERY proud mama of a beautiful 5 month old.

So yes, it did take her longer than usual (4 months) to sleep through the night -- but the BEST advice I got while pregnant was to but the baby in her own bed (while awake) from day one.

We did not keep her in a PNP or co-sleeper in our room. Right off the bat, she has always gone down in her own bed.

On the baby boards, other moms are all posting about how difficult it is to transition baby to their own bed. Well, if you do it from day one, then there is no transition to worry about.

Just my 2 cents

Re: TAKE MY ADVICE!

• Options
    ideally, I would love to do that but, realistically, I don't think I will have the energy to go upstairs to the baby's room every two hours for a feeding. 
    imageimage
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I have heard this from a few people.  I may take your advice.  Our bedroom is about 10 ft away, so I know I will hear the little one. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

Some babies transition just fine. DD was in our room for 6 months. The move to the crib in her own room didn't faze her a bit. 

And 4 months to sleep through the night is NOT longer than usual. Go visit the toddler boards and see how many aren't STTN yet, or didn't start STTN until 10 or 12 months like my DD. 

Every baby is different. The perfect situation for you and your baby won't be the perfect situation for every mom and their baby.

Mama to two sweet girls
    DD1 Feb 2010
    DD2 Sept 2011

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    DS slept in our room for 2.5-3 months, we slept many nights on the couch with him on our chest due to his severe infant GERD and the night we put him in his crib was flawless.  He never had the littlest problem with the tradition.  In fact, I think we both slept better.  To each their own, but you can have an infant sleep in your room with a seamless transition.  DD may not be the same, but it can work.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I think I will take the advice of the AAP instead.
  • Options
    No way.

FWIW, we full on bedshared from day 1 until DS self weaned at 15 months. We then did the Sleep Lady Shuffle and within a week he was transitioned to sleeping in his room/crib with no problems. Even if it would have taken more time, I wouldn't trade those 15 months of snuggling for anything. They grow way too fast, and I will always have that time with him.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

Hummm, just curious??

I am a Family Practitioner - have I missed something in the recent AAP literature?

Perhaps I need to update my hospital's database. What is the latest?

• Options

It's all about the kid.  I didn't have any issues moving him from the p-n-p or putting him to bed asleep or awake .  I also didn't have any issues moving him out of our room at 13 months.  That's just the kind of kid we've got (Thank God).

• Options
    this is good to hear bc I'm feeling guilty that I think this is my plan however I do think for a little while I'll sleep in the nursery since I'll be up so often to nurse, out of convience hopefully that isn't an issue once they notice Im not in the room any longer down the road.
  • Options
    imagememali26:

Some babies transition just fine. DD was in our room for 6 months. The move to the crib in her own room didn't faze her a bit. 

And 4 months to sleep through the night is NOT longer than usual. Go visit the toddler boards and see how many aren't STTN yet, or didn't start STTN until 10 or 12 months like my DD. 

Every baby is different. The perfect situation for you and your baby won't be the perfect situation for every mom and their baby.

I agree with this completely!  

• Options
    imagePoppywedding:

Hummm, just curious??

I am a Family Practitioner - have I missed something in the recent AAP literature?

AAP recommends baby being in parents room for the first 6 months to lower SIDS risk

• Options
    This is my 4th child so I'm not exactly new to the game.  I have coslept with ALL of my kids and you know what... they are all happy and well adjusted kids who sleep in their own beds all through the night but know that I'm there for them if they ever need me.  Contrary to popular belief, cosleeping or having a child in your room does not automatically = later sleep issues, difficulty sleeping alone, or difficulty transitioning to a crib.  There are many resources available for parents who feel that this is a better option for their family.  I'm always a little unsettled when I see posts like this because it acts like children and child-rearing are all "one size fits all" and that is not the case at all.  I'm glad you found something that works for you but I can tell you that your choices will not be my choices and I'll bet that we both end up with perfectly fine and healthy children. 
  • Options

AAP recommends room-sharing with an infant to reduce SIDS, but truly--each child and family is different and different values. And once your baby arrives, each family does what works. 4 months does not seem late to STTN! :)

"A separate but proximate sleeping environment is recommended:The risk of SIDS has been shown to be reduced when the infantsleeps in the same room as the mother."

https://aappolicy.aappublications.org/cgi/content/abstract/pediatrics;116/5/1245%20

Lilypie First Birthday tickersBaby Birthday Ticker Tickerv
  • Options

Gee, four whole months before STTN? That must be some kind of record....How did you possibly survive? ::eyeroll::

Sorry, but know-it-all advice like this annoys the crap out of me. The best advice that *I* received while pregnant was this: DO WHAT WORKS BEST FOR YOUR FAMILY. Parenting is not one size fits all.

FWIW, we had no issues whatsoever transitioning DS to his crib from a PNP.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

image4LittleDucks:
    This is my 4th child so I'm not exactly new to the game.  I have coslept with ALL of my kids and you know what... they are all happy and well adjusted kids who sleep in their own beds all through the night but know that I'm there for them if they ever need me.  Contrary to popular belief, cosleeping or having a child in your room does not automatically = later sleep issues, difficulty sleeping alone, or difficulty transitioning to a crib.  There are many resources available for parents who feel that this is a better option for their family.  I'm always a little unsettled when I see posts like this because it acts like children and child-rearing are all "one size fits all" and that is not the case at all.  I'm glad you found something that works for you but I can tell you that your choices will not be my choices and I'll bet that we both end up with perfectly fine and healthy children. 

Yes 

• Options

Ruby Soho:

p.s. Are any of you little ones names Ruby, b/c that is my husbands favorite name?!

Yes, I have checked with the AAP website and you are correct. I will educate my OB colleagues!   https://www.healthychildren.org/English/ages-stages/baby/sleep/pages/A-Parents-Guide-to-Safe-Sleep.aspx

At any rate, I am a TERRIBLE sleeper and have loved the peace and quiet that has recently come come with Amelia now snoozin' all night long.

Ya'll are a feisty bunch and I love the opinions!

So fun, keep the post coming!

• Options
    imagePoppywedding:

I am a Family Practitioner - 

and you think that STTN after 4 months is "later than usual"?? wow...glad you're not my FP, you'd have hated my son!  signed, another co-sleeping mom  

imageimage

• Options
    4 months is longer than usual? My 2 year old doesn't STTN yet. And he was in his crib from day one. Nice advice but I want to throw it out there that it does NOT work for everyone so those unlucky (like me) don't feel like they are doing everything wrong.
    imageimageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    DD slept in our room in a PNP for 3 months and transitioned to her crib easily.
  • Options

-4 months old is on the really young end to STTN

-Having baby in mom and dad's room reduces SIDS risk

~Working Mom~Breastfeeding Mom~Cloth Diapering Mom~BLW Mom~

Blog - No Longer on the DL ~ The Man Cave
    Shawn and Larissa
    LO #1 - Took 2 years and 2 IVFs ~ DX - severe MFI mild PCOS homozygous MTHFR (a1298c)
    LO #2 - TTC 7 months, surprise spontaneous BFP!
  • Options

Yeah...STTN and transitioning well is kid specific.  Some will adapt with no issue, others are more of a struggle.    

FWIW my DD slept thru the night at 5 weeks, we coslept for 6 months and she transitioned with no issues to her crib.

photo a42489fa-98a3-436b-b31b-266d7d204e5d_zpsde5f201a.jpg
    my read shelf:
    Molly's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)Follow Me on Pinterest
    Anniversary
  • Options

imagewater-fairy:
    4 months is longer than usual? My 2 year old doesn't STTN yet. And he was in his crib from day one. Nice advice but I want to throw it out there that it does NOT work for everyone so those unlucky (like me) don't feel like they are doing everything wrong.

OMG I am in love with your maternity picture!!!  I would copy it but I don't have your rockin bod!  How did you keep your thighs from blowing up??

imageimage
  • Options

imageruby soho:

ditto

ETA: it also kind of worries me that a family practitioner who could potentially be giving actual new parents advice doesn't know this......

photo 22e3a93e-8933-4ed0-acf4-72665341621b_zpsd73ca8f6.jpgp>

"What did my fingers do before they held you? What did my heart do with it's love?"

CafeMom Tickers

Follow Me on Pinterest

• Options
    imageromigu:

imagewater-fairy:

OMG I am in love with your maternity picture!!!  I would copy it but I don't have your rockin bod!  How did you keep your thighs from blowing up??

Thanks :) I am one (genetically) lucky *** ;) but I helped myself by working out my entire first pregnancy and as far as this one goes, I have a very busy toddler that keeps me in shape. There are upsides to not having a kid that STTN at 4 months ;)
    imageimageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    imageruby soho:
    imagePoppywedding:

Hummm, just curious??

AAP recommends baby being in parents room for the first 6 months to lower SIDS risk

Eh...as long as the sleeping environment is kept safe, the risk of SIDS is quite low.  Our baby slept in her crib in the next room from day one.  She sleeps through the night and has since 3 1/2 months.  (8-9 hours straight, followed by 3 more hours in the morning). 

I could never, ever sleep with my baby in our bed.  To each their own though.  All babies are different, and as long as the parents and child aren't completely sleep-deprived then there are all sorts of acceptable sleeping arrangements.

However, I have read some posts here with women complaining that their 1-2 yr olds are still waking up every 2 hours.  Sorry, but a miserable, exhausted child is not healthy at all.

• Options
    imagePoppywedding:

Hummm, just curious??

Being a FP then you surely would know that all babies are different and every situtation is different. And to assume that most babies this young STTN or that they will do so by putting thrm in a crib right away is just baloney. But give yourself a pat on the back, it worked for you 

• Options
    Well I'm glad that worked so well for you that you had to come shout it from the rooftops of third tri. When you get a break from patting yourself on the back, try to remember that everyone's parenting experience is different and that insistent, self satisfied advice is usually unwelcome.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    imagememali26:

This.  

image Don't argue with idiots, they bring you down to their level then beat you with experience. - Mrs. G
  • Options
    imageMereou12:

Gee, four whole months before STTN? That must be some kind of record....How did you possibly survive? ::eyeroll::

Sorry, but know-it-all advice like this annoys the crap out of me. The best advice that *I* received while pregnant was this: DO WHAT WORKS BEST FOR YOUR FAMILY. Parenting is not one size fits all.

FWIW, we had no issues whatsoever transitioning DS to his crib from a PNP.

I'm wishing I knew how to "thumbs up" this. You said it perfectly.  

• Options
    imageT&HLove:

imageruby soho:

ditto

ETA: it also kind of worries me that a family practitioner who could potentially be giving actual new parents advice doesn't know this......

This is a bit much. She's a FP which means she sees a wide range of patients from birth to death. You can't expect your physician to be up on all literature for every age group and illness. If you think you spend a lot of time in the waiting room now, just think about how long you would be there if they had to sift through all of those constantly changing recommendations. There are only so many medical journals you can read esp when you're trying to enjoy your own family with what little off time you have. Her biggest mistake here was presenting a suggestion as a dictatelike someone's MIL to a bunch of hormonal women who are sick of being told what to do by every checkout kid and grandma they pass. Moral of the story is every kid is diff. Do what gets you through the day....or night as the case may be.
  • Options
    imagelaurakaz13:
    imageruby soho:
    imagePoppywedding:

Hummm, just curious??

Eh...as long as the sleeping environment is kept safe, the risk of SIDS is quite low.  Our baby slept in her crib in the next room from day one.  She sleeps through the night and has since 3 1/2 months.  (8-9 hours straight, followed by 3 more hours in the morning). 

I could never, ever sleep with my baby in our bed.  To each their own though.  All babies are different, and as long as the parents and child aren't completely sleep-deprived then there are all sorts of acceptable sleeping arrangements.

However, I have read some posts here with women complaining that their 1-2 yr olds are still waking up every 2 hours.  Sorry, but a miserable, exhausted child is not healthy at all.

Room sharing and bed sharing are not the same thing.  Baby can be in mom and dad's room without being in their bed

~Working Mom~Breastfeeding Mom~Cloth Diapering Mom~BLW Mom~

Blog - No Longer on the DL ~ The Man Cave
    Shawn and Larissa
    LO #1 - Took 2 years and 2 IVFs ~ DX - severe MFI mild PCOS homozygous MTHFR (a1298c)
    LO #2 - TTC 7 months, surprise spontaneous BFP!
  • Options
    That may have worked for you, but im AP all the way in this department. I bf my son, and co-slept with him until he was 3...then he transitioned to his own bed in his own room. He still comes into bed with me in the morning, or when it storms out, but thats common for toddlers, from what i hear from my friends who had their kids in their own crib, in their own room from day one at least.
    Anniversary Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I agree! I am putting her in her crib in her own room. we have an extra bed in her room so DH and I will sleep in her room until she's old enough.
  • Options

It has a lot to do with the personality of the baby as well. My DD hated to sleep by herself from day one. She screamed all night long while we were at the hospital. I was so exhausted and magically stumbled upon cosleeping and finally got some rest! Breastfeeding was also way better and easier. I was way more rested.

Awesome advice, but it isn't always one-size-fits-all. I'll try again with DS to have him sleep in his own bed from day one (but co-room), but it's hard to say what will happen until he is actually here.

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Married since 06/19/2004|Anna born 11/19/2006|Charles born 11/1/11
    Double undergrad graduation May 2011| Me: Psychology, DH: Communication| A long journey!
    <a href="http://s21.photobucket.com/albums/b268/gussiebutt/?action=view
  • Options

imageromigu:
    ideally, I would love to do that but, realistically, I don't think I will have the energy to go upstairs to the baby's room every two hours for a feeding. 

this. I want to BF and establish a good supply. so baby will be in a pack n' play in our room the first few months. It's more important for us to BF than to sleep in the beginning...

b/w=FSH 15.6, AMH 0.4 surprise natural BFP on 3/12/11
    DS born via unplanned C-section at 40w6d

• Options
    imagePoppywedding:

So I am a VERY proud mama of a beautiful 5 month old.

So yes, it did take her longer than usual (4 months) to sleep through the night -- but the BEST advice I got while pregnant was to but the baby in her own bed (while awake) from day one.

We did not keep her in a PNP or co-sleeper in our room. Right off the bat, she has always gone down in her own bed.

On the baby boards, other moms are all posting about how difficult it is to transition baby to their own bed. Well, if you do it from day one, then there is no transition to worry about.

Just my 2 cents

Are you nursing?  If so, sleeping through the night at 4 months is GREAT,NOT a long time.  Both my boys slept in my room in bassinets.  DS1 started sleeping through the night at 10 weeks and transferred to his room with NO problems, continued sleeping through the night.  DS2 was just a DIFFERENT baby and did not sleep through the night till he was 1.  I don't think it had anything to do with the change to the crib, it was just who he was. 

• Options
    imageMereou12:

Amen!

Why do you think that 5 months of parenting experience warrants you to tell others that we have to take your advice?!

Lilypie First Birthday tickers

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

• Options

Keep in mind, medical doctors are physical doctors.

I'd rather get personality advice from a psychologist lol.

BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker imageimageimageimage
  • Options

And I'd rather a baby with no incident of SIDS over a baby that just can't fall asleep on their own. Even if it lowers the chance of SIDS by only 1%, I'll take it.

BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker imageimageimageimage
  • Options

LOL  Just because your child started STTN at 4 months does not mean that it will continue.  You have a lot of milestones ahead of you and most likely one, if not all, of them will disrupt your childs sleep.  Also, there is just plain sleep regression- which my baby girl had at 6 months...and she was in her crib from 6 weeks on.

4 months is very early for a baby to STTN and way too early for you to be all knowing about sleep and be demanding that everyone take your advice. 

Does anyone else think it is hysterical that she is a physician?  

Lilypie - (ZESJ)Lilypie - (QAi1)

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"