Parenting

I have a daycare vent

My boys go to a smaller, privately owned daycare. We love it.

I should also say that my 16 year daughter has been working there this summer. She work in the infant room where my youngest is.

Today there was a new baby in the room, and the mom was picking her up the same time I was getting the boys. She was talking to one of the other daycare worked and my first that was "man she sounds like a b!tch".

I asked my daughter about her and she proceeded to tell me that she was the owners step-daughter and that she had outlined all these stipulations for her kids. One being, her 5 month old is to only have 3- 4oz bottles during the day, and 3 hours apart.....okay...whatever.

Then, she tells me that they can't play music cds for the babies anymore, because this mom only lets her kids listen to certain music.So, if she doesn't bring it in, there can't be any music.

I have an issue with this.... who is she to decide what MY child can listen to? It's not like they are listening to hardcore rap back there...it's children cds.

I'm not normally "that mom" but I'm saying something to the director. I pay my tuition like everyone else, and just because she's related to the owner, I don't think she gets to make the rules.

Am I overreacting?  

Re: I have a daycare vent

• I don't think you're overreacting, but I would talk with your daughter again and make sure she heard this from the mother, not from someone else.  If it was through the grapevine, it could be exaggerated, and you and  your daughter would look bad to the director.  Also, either way, even if true, it may not be good for your daughter's job security.  But I would be po'd if true.
  • She said that 2 of her co-workers, both that work in the infant room were told about the music. 
  • Loading the player...
  • I agree with the PP--it could be a touchy subject with the owner. Definitely do not bring up anything that your daughter is telling you, because it most likely goes against her contract to be talking to other people about other children/parents. I'd be really annoyed/pissed, but the only things you really can bring up are things you witness. I'd be sure to hang around and witness some of these things, though. 
  • I'm pretty sure it's not your business what she's feeding her baby, but she shouldn't be able to say what your kids are listening to.  My kids all had 3 4oz bottles of milk at daycare at that age.  And that was more than I could make in that amount of time.  I had to do extra pumping sessions to make it so I really did not want someone trying to feed her more.

If it was appropriate music, she shouldn't be able to say "only listen to this other music."  If it was inappropriate for children (sexual, swear words, etc.) - and lots of stuff on the radio is -  then I can see her saying please don't play that music, here why don't you play this instead.

If she's really just being a bee-hatch, I'd bring in my own music and say I only want the kids listening to this.  When they object, you can have a conversation about the music and the other mom.

• Oh, I know that isn't my business. That was just an example of the many instructions she has given them.
  • Do they normally play music when you drop off or pick up?  If yes, then I would ask the teachers why they are not playing it anymore and go from there.  If what you say is true I would definitely have an issue with it, there is no way I would be ok with crazy requests from one parent affect the way my child is cared for.  Of course this likely will result in your DD losing her hours there.
    Jen - Mom to two December 12 babies Nathaniel 12/12/06 and Addison 12/12/08
  • Not at all.  At my daycare, many of the staff, including the Asst directors twins are at the center.  Nothing has changed and the staff kids are treated the same as the rest of the kids there.  The parent is not allowed to be their own childs teacher and if they are in the same room, the other teacher tries to handles things with that child as much as possible so there is no way anyone could claim playing favorites or anything like that.
    Jenni Mom to DD#1 - 6-16-06 DD#2 - 3-13-08 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"