August 2011 Moms

I'm freaking out

My pediatrician told DH and I to keep our LO away from people with cold sores, because the virus can cause really severe illness and even death in newborns. I'm having a panic attack because my grandma held LO the other day and kissed him on the head and such, and I didn't realize at the time that she had two cold sores on her mouth. I really wish I was more observant, and hoping that LO doesn't get sick. I'll be calling the pediatrician in the morning to find out what to watch for, but right now I'm just freaking out. Does anyone know any more about this?
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic

Re: I'm freaking out

• The initial out break of herpes simplex can be severe.  It can present itself as gingivostomatits, here is some information on it:

https://www.babycenter.com/0_gingivostomatitis_1201460.bc

A lot of kids get it once they go to daycare, I think it takes 2 weeks from exposure to manifest if I remember correctly from school.  (I'm a dental hygienist and we have to learn a lot about it since it effects the oral cavity and is highly contagious.) 

If your grandmother's sore was dry & healing than they are not very contagious, if they were open or she had just developed them they are more contagious. But not everyone who comes into contact will them will contract the virus or develop cold sores.  90% of the population has the virus and about 50% get cold sores.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"