Breastfeeding

What is her deal today!? (Repost from Aug 11)

Today my LO is eating for maybe 5-10 min on one breast and won't eat anymore. She slept for 3 1/2 hours before I kinda forced her awake to eat and again only about 5-10 min and this time I switched breasts in the middle just to make her eat but it didn't really help. She felt back asleep almost instantly...what is her deal?! She slept from 1130pm to 330am this morning (yay!) and then from 4am to 6am, then about 7am to 830am and ate for 10min THEN she was up until 1030am and ate for 5min and fell asleep until 245pm and she only ate a total of about 10 min. She only has 3 wet diapers today and 2 poops. Is this normal sometimes? Yesterday she was very alert all day and ate really good...is she maybe making up for lost sleep?

I feel like such a worry wart!

Re: What is her deal today!? (Repost from Aug 11)

• Since she is giving you wet diapers try not to worry too much.  IF you think she should be eating more then strip her down so she's naked (or in a diaper only) when she eats.  If you have to, get a wet rag and rub her back and head with it to keep her awake while nursing.  If that doesn't work, change her diaper to hopefully wake her up and try again.  

My LC told me to switch sides every 5 minutes if I have to, to help her stay awake.  She said that it wouldn't hinder my supply - she was right!  I tried to nurse for a total of 20 minutes but switched sides every 5 minutes to make sure she was getting the nutrition she needed. 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • imageQmommy:

Since she is giving you wet diapers try not to worry too much.  IF you think she should be eating more then strip her down so she's naked (or in a diaper only) when she eats.  If you have to, get a wet rag and rub her back and head with it to keep her awake while nursing.  If that doesn't work, change her diaper to hopefully wake her up and try again.  

My LC told me to switch sides every 5 minutes if I have to, to help her stay awake.  She said that it wouldn't hinder my supply - she was right!  I tried to nurse for a total of 20 minutes but switched sides every 5 minutes to make sure she was getting the nutrition she needed. 

This.  I used to tickle my LO's feet the whole time, jiggle my breast in his mouth, and wipe his neck with a cool baby wipe.  They are sooo sleepy at that age. 

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickersLilypie - Personal pictureLilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  •  If the diaper output is good, you are o.k.

She doesn't have a bit of jaundice does she, maybe breastmilk jaundice? Most likely it's nothing. You can ignore me. I'm just jealous of you're sleeping baby! :-) It will not last, so enjoy it and get some rest.

When my LO had the physiological jaundice, I also stripped him down to just his diaper. Helped a lot.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • I'm sooo jealous of your sleeping baby. DD was never ever that sleepy! Maybe for the first week!
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"