Northern California Babies

Food allergy?

Does anyone have experience with food allergies with lo? Did your pediatrician take your concerns serious? The two times dd has eaten rice cereal she has developed a rash. Since then she has also gotten a rash when I've eaten rice. Before introducing rice to her, it didn't bother her when I ate it. It all seems weird. Her pedi thinks it's just coincidence. I'm not sure what to do. I guess I'll just cut it out for a while and see what happens. Sometimes being a mom makes me feel so incompetent.
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Food allergy?

• What type of rash was it?
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Her pedi said probably eczema. It was on her cheeks, neck, chest, back, arms, and thighs.  She thought her cheeks looked like classic eczema but the rest of it not as much.  Here is a photo from hours after she had rice for the second time.  Sorry it's not the greatest.  

• Loading the player...
  • Poor little sweetie, that looks awful.  I don't have any experience but I know on the AP board there are quite a number of mama's with food allergy experience (they even have a weekly check in) and it's a very friendly group, I'm sure you could post over there for some advice and of course when Amy gets a look at your pics she'll give great advice as well.
  • I would say that she may be allergic to rice. I am surprised pedi did not think it was a possibility.
  • imagejsugrin:
    Poor little sweetie, that looks awful.  I don't have any experience but I know on the AP board there are quite a number of mama's with food allergy experience (they even have a weekly check in) and it's a very friendly group, I'm sure you could post over there for some advice and of course when Amy gets a look at your pics she'll give great advice as well.

Oh thanks J, I didn't see this. Also it does look like eczema but that can be caused by food allergy, just to clarify. didn't want to make it sound like it's not eczema.  

• Thanks for your input. The thing with her pedi was kind of weird. We went in a few weeks ago when the rash was at it's worst. I explained what we had observed. And the pedi said that a rice allergy is rare and she didn't think it was the problem. Then when we went in for her 6 month well baby the pedi said to watch out for foods that make it flare up. I don't feel 100% confident with her pedi just because we've only seen her a few times. Before we moved 4 months ago I picked the office based on online reviews. It's not that I don't think she's competent, I just don't really know her if you know what I mean. I agree that rice allergies are rare. But given what I've observed I can't shake the concern. I wasn't sure if I'm just being that mom or if it is a justified concern. Guess I need to decide what to do now.

• Food allergies are so hard to diagnose. The best way is that if you see the association, and it happens over again, then I would just avoid rice and maybe start it up again in 6 months to see if it is any better. Maybe wait till it clears up and try one more time. If you see it again, then that really says rice allergy to me. 
  • DD would get little eczema flares from strawberries when she was younger. At that time the guidelines were still to wait 1 year before introducing strawberries, which we did, but I noticed she would get a little eczema on her leg every single time she had them, so I cut them out for a while. When we reintroduced about a year later she had no problems.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie First Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"