Babies: 0 - 3 Months
Options

Swaddle ?

How long do you swaddle your babies.  My LO is 7 weeks and is hit and miss if she likes to be swaddled. I would like to move her to her crib for night sleeping but dont want to give her a blanket and she is to little for the sleep sacs that we have. She is currently sleeping in my room in a rock n play sleeper with a blanket.   Any suggestions.....     TIA

Re: Swaddle ?

• Options

Does it seem to be because she doesn't want her arms tied down? My babe was like that, I just wrapped the blanket around under his arms or put it over him and tucked it on each side of the mattress so it wasn't loose.

• Options

Same here. DS sleeps in a rock n play at the bedside. We were also using just a blanket. I started reading "The Happiest Baby on the Block" and one of the suggestions to get baby to sleep through the night was swaddling. I tried swaddling with a blanket, but within 5 minutes, his arms were out and the blanket was around his feet.

I went to Target and bought a 3-pack of Swaddle wraps (Kiddopotamus/Summer). The material is warm enough that he doesn't need a blanket. It has velcro to keep the wrap in place and it works pretty well. DS has been sleeping longer at night. Although there are times when he is still able to get his arms out. The swaddle wraps come in different sizes. I bought S/M for my 7 week old.

We've also been transitioning DS to his crib. At first he wouldn't sleep in his crib. He'd cry as soon as we laid him down. Now he sleeps at minimum 3 hours in the crib (he hit 5 hours the other night!) before he wakes up!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    It may not look pretty, but if you tape the swaddle, it's perfectly safe to place your baby in the crib that way.  It's even recommended in the "Happiest Baby on the Block" book.  Cultures around the world tie ribbons and string to secure their blanket swaddle.
    Married 5-24-2008;
    BFP 4-19-11. Ezri Ana born on due date, Dec 30 2011!
    My Ovulation Chart 
    BFP 10-05-2014; MMC 11-15-2014.
    BFP 02-17-2015
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

My LO is 6.5 weeks old and is swaddled every night. At first she didn't like her arms tied down either but now knows that swaddle means bedtime. This also keeps her the startle reflex waking her up. I don't swaddle her for naps though so that she knows the difference between nap and bedtime.

We have developed a bedtime routine that includes bath (with or without soap), diaper, lotion rubdown, breastmilk bottle, and then swaddle. This puts her in the mood to sleep and relaxes us all. She generally will sleep 6-8 hours and is asleep by 9:30pm (sometimes earlier). The only caveat is that she sleeps in a pack n play in our bedroom still. After the holiday weekend it is my goal to transition her to sleep in her own room in the crib. She doesn't like sleeping in the crib either. I have also tried to transition her to sleep in the crib for naps as well but she will usually only sleep 30 minutes during naptime in the crib.

If anyone has any recommendations on how to transition LO to sleep in the crib I would love to hear them!

• Options
    DS is 11 weeks and we still swaddle because his startle reflex is still strong and if we don't, he will wake himself.  We will start to wean the swaddle once his reflex starts going away (hopefully by 4 months).
    BabyFetus Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

LO is 2 months and we still swaddle him sometimes. It really seems to help him sleep better. Sometimes he just can't be swaddled though, like when he's wide awake and wants to be picked up.

Have you heard of the woombie? It's like a zip up version of the sleep sack. If I had heard of before giving birth then I would have ordered one instead of buying the two sleep sacks we own now. It seems much easier to get baby in and out + it's one piece so it doesn't come off when baby moves around.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

I occasionally swaddled DD1 up until she was 7 mths old...that was the only way she would sleep. She's never been bog into snoozing in our bedroom and isn't to this day...

DD2 loves swaddles and because she too startles herself awake she'll be swaddled until she outgrows it....

• Options

Get the miracle blanket.  It's more likely that your baby is waking when she breaks out of the swaddle than it is that she doesn't like the swaddle.  

I swear by the miracle blanket.  We have 3.  DD #1 slept in one every night for the first year of her life.  DD #2 has been sleeping in one every night since she came home from the hospital.  She sleeps anywhere from 5 to 8 hours without waking at night. 

Mommy to Annabelle Emma (05.07) and Lila Mary (06.11)
  • Options
    I have a love/hate relationship w/ the swaddle now.  LO fights his way out of it often but I'm visiting my sister now and she swaddled him nice and tight one night and he slept great b/c he couldn't move anything.  Apparently DH and I still haven't mastered the swaddle technique.  My sister swaddled their youngest till 7 months(and she's a ped) so it's possible to go longer.  I want to swaddle LO until his arms no longer wake him up.  Even in sleep, he's constantly moving!
  • Options

We couldn't get swaddle tightly enough to contain his arms.  This doubled his length of sleep from 3 hours to 6 hours the first night, and we're up to 10 sometimes now.  He will stir in the morning, but not quite wake himself up without being able to smack himself in the face! 

https://www.summerinfant.com/Products/Nursery/Swaddle-Me---Speciality-Blankets/SwaddleMe?/100--Cotton/SwaddleMe?-Cotton-(4).aspx

~ M/C April 28/10 @ 10w2d ~ ~ M/C Sept. 14/10 @ 5w ~ Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"