Miscarriage/Pregnancy Loss
Options

Cytotec?

Hi everyone,

I recently miscarried (for the fourth time). I had some cramping for a couple of days but then last night I started bleeding profusely and had major labor-like cramps. I had an ultrasound today, and the baby would have been 6w6d, but apparently I had a blighted ovum and there was a collapsed sac in there that hadn't yet come out.

My doc suggested taking Cytotec this weekend to expel the rest of the sac (she said that had fewer risks than a D&C and I wouldn't have to wonder/wait for it to happen naturally). She also wrote me a prescription for Vicodin. However, I did some research when I got home and saw it wasn't approved by the FDA for labor-inducing purposes, and I read that it could cause uterine hemhorraging that could be fatal. I also saw that the experience is extremely painful. Needless to say, I'm nervous.

Has anyone had good or bad experiences with Cytotec? What should I do????

~ Allison (34) married to Joe (35) since 5/21/06 ~ (MC) 8/07; (MC) 11/07; DS Adam Joseph, born 12/26/08; (MC) 6/11

Re: Cytotec?

• Options

I have not taken cytotec but the hemhorraging is one of the reaons I didn't choose to take the medicine. My doctor said that I could take the medicine because I also had a blighted ovum but she did warn me that it could be 4 hours of intense pain or weeks of slow bleeding. She also said some ppl still need to have a D&C because not all the tissue passes.

I go back to work tomorrow so that is also a reason why I went for the D&C. The medicine seemed a little unpredicable for me and I wanted to start the school year without worry of what was to come.

If your sac has already started to collapse, then maybe the medicine would work well for you.I would talk to your doctor about your concerns and see what they have to say. I wrote about my D&C a few posts down if your interested.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    BFP #1 6.19.11 ~ EDD 2.23.12 ~ CP on 6.22.11
    BFP #2 7.23.11 ~ EDD 3.28.12 ~ MC on 8.16.11
    BFP #3 11.17.11~ EDD 7.31.12 ~ MC on 1.18.12
    BFP #4 4.12.12 ~ EDD 12.25.12~ Born on 12.26.12
  • Options

I took cytotec to "pass" my missed m/c.  It was quite painful for a span of time, about 1-1.5 hours, but other than that it felt much like a crampier-than-normal period.  I did bleed/spot for about 15 days after, though the majority of the heavy bleeding/passing of tissue/clots/gestational sac was in the 12-60 hour range after I took the dose. 

I chose it simply because I decided I'd rather be home with my husband rather than in a hospital.  Also, I don't like going under general anesthesia, which would have been required for a d+c.  

Good luck with your decision, and I am very sorry for your loss.

::The sudden disappointment of a hope leaves a scar that even the ultimate fullfillment of that hope cannot fully erase:: Thomas Hardy

BFP #1: 07/08/11  EDD: 03/22/12  Missed miscarriage @ 8w: 08/11/11, stopped growing @ 6w6d
    BFP #2: 03/26/12  EDD: 12/07/12  We have a HB at 7w!! (04/20/12)  CSD born 12/12/12 
    BFP #3: 08/05/14  Chemical Pregnancy at 4w3d 08/06/14
    BFP #4: 10/02/14  EDD: 06/10/15  Miscarriage at 6w6d 10/22/14

TTCAL Siggy Challenge

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I took cytotec. From the research I did before, I found that the keys for success seemed to be moistening the tabs before insertion and inserting the pills as high as possible. I found the cramping to be very bad, but not as bad as the emotional trauma. I passed an in tact sac which was the worst part for me. I bled for about 12 or 14 days after. Good luck to you.
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers
    PGAL/PAL Always Welcome
  • Options
    I took it about 2 weeks ago and had a "good" experience if you could call it that.  I was very nervous about the pain but I guess I'm one of the lucky ones because I really didn't have much.  I took it at 7pm and had nothing happen until I woke up at 4am feeling like I was bleeding.  I had about 2 hours getting up every so often due to bleeding alot of clots and what I think was the sac.  It was not painful at all just weird.  I never took my vicodin.  My follow up is next week so hopefully it worked for me.  I did have several days of heavy bleeding and I'm still spotting a little.  My first m/c I got a d&c and I had very minimal bleeding afterwards so this was much worse in that regard.  Overall I would choose to do it again. 
    TTC since Dec. 2010. Me: 37, DH: 38...unexplained RPL
    BFP #1 - missed m/c 4.18.11 found @8w3d, d&c @13w 
    BFP #2 blighted ovum found 8.2011 @8w, misoprostol
    BFP#3 - missed m/c 6.11.12 @ 9w3d, d&c revealed extra chromosome 15
    BFP#4 8.10.12, DD born 4/26/13
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"