2nd Trimester
Options

How Soon to Find Out Gender?

So, I am currently about 15 weeks 5 days.  I will be 16 weeks on Fri, Sept. 2nd, and I have a doctor's appointment that day.  

My OB has already told us that she will want us to come in at week 20  (Fri. Sept.30th for me) to do an ultrasound and find out the gender and everything.

My question is, how early will they let you come in for that?  This is going to sound ridiculous, but there is a huge consignment sale in our city on the 23rd, so I will be 18w 6d.  Do you think they'd let me schedule my appointment for the day before the sale so I can know the gender before it?  We REALLY want to know the gender before the sale because that's when we're planning to buy a ton of stuff for the baby.

My sis-in-law, also pregnant, told me that her OB said she wouldn't do the ultrasound before 19w3d because the baby has to be that far along to be able to see certain things about it?

Help!  If you can't tell, this will be our first baby!

Thanks! 

Pregnancy Ticker

Re: How Soon to Find Out Gender?

• Options
    They will most likely want to stick to as close to 20 weeks as possible. They not only look at the gender but its an over all check to see how things are progressing. If you really want to know now you can look into a 3D ultrasound center. We have an apt at 14 weeks to find out the sex. You have to pay out of pocket. Ours is just a short one so its $85. The price can vary. Bet you could always call your Dr. and ask to schedule it, then you will know how early they will let you!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I'm not sure your location, but different offices have different policies. I get an 18wk u/s for the anatomy screen. That's the only I get my whole pregnancy, unless there's a problem (I had an early one at 6 weeks due to some spotting). I'm not a fan of having to wait so long either. The only way you'll know if you can have it done earlier, is to talk to your doctors office. I hope you'll be able to find out sooner so you can go nuts at the consignment store! Best of luck to you. 

Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    My OB does the anatomy scan between 18-19 weeks.
    S- March 09 E- Feb 12 L- May 15

• Options
    Mine is scheduled for 18 weeks to the day, some OBs will not do it before 20 but it's worth asking.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    It's worth asking about, but why wouldn't  you buy gender neutral baby stuff anyways?  You never know-- you could have a boy now and a girl later or vice versa and then you could use the same swing, car seat, etc.  Obviously you will want gender-specific clothing, but as far as baby gear goes, it seems like it would make more sense to choose gender neutral things.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options

imagemommybrynn:
    It's worth asking about, but why wouldn't  you buy gender neutral baby stuff anyways?  You never know-- you could have a boy now and a girl later or vice versa and then you could use the same swing, car seat, etc.  Obviously you will want gender-specific clothing, but as far as baby gear goes, it seems like it would make more sense to choose gender neutral things.

OP- please do not buy a car seat at a consignment shop. You won't know it's history.

S- March 09 E- Feb 12 L- May 15

• Options

I go back to my dr on the 7th for check up and u/s!! One week from today Yay!

I'll be 18 weeks and 2-3 days. I cant wait!! :)

Oh and we decided we are just going to take DD out of school for that hour, it wouldnt be fair to her to miss out on finding out brother/sister especially since DS will be there too! But then shes going back after my appt! 

• Options
    imagesunnyday016:

imagemommybrynn:

OP- please do not buy a car seat at a consignment shop. You won't know it's history.

Good point, I didn't even think of that, but yeah that would be a bad move. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I'll be 20 weeks and 2 days for my anatomy scan.  There's a place near me that does elective gender scans for $60 as early as 14 weeks...it's tempting.
  • Options
    imagesunnyday016:

imagemommybrynn:

Oh, definitely not!  We're thinking more like changing table, glider/rocker, baby clothes, *maybe* a PNP, or any other gear that catches our eye.  But no, not the car seat.

We're getting the Chicco Keyfit 30 in Pegaso.  I drool everytime I see it. 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    I believe it just depends on the doctor. When I was pregnant with my first child they mademe weight until around 20-22weeks.   This time around, (different doctor), he said that we would do the gender ultra sound around 18 weeks. So for example, we go back on the 7th. to have a scan done and then 2 weeks later go back to find out the sex. 
    Wedding Countdown Ticker IAmPregnant Ticker Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options

I had a regularly scheduled appointment on 17w1d and they didn't even do an u/s, just checked the hb with a doppler and asked how I was feeling. 

I had my a/s scheduled one week later for 18w1d and we were confidently told that we are having a boy!

I am glad I waited until the a/s, it made it feel more official.  If I was given a guess beforehand, I wouldn't feel as confident.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"