3rd Trimester

What would you do? Job interview

So I have an interview tomorrow and I don't know if I should tell them during the interview that I'm pregnant. Or "try" and hide my belly until if/when I get hired and then let them know(well see). What would you do? I really don't think they would want to hire someone that is due in November and will be gone for a few weeks. TIA
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: What would you do? Job interview

• I would not tell and you have no legal obligation to tell. If you want the job, I would avoid letting them know........
  • I feel like if you don't tell them and you get the job, it won't be a good start to a good relationship. It may make you seem dishonest, which sucks because you shouldn't have to tell them since it is possible they wont hire you because you are pregnant. I interned in a hospital HR department, and though you cant legally not hire someone due to pregnancy, they can come up with a million other reasons not to hire you. Good luck to you!
    BabyFruit Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker image
  • Loading the player...
  • I am 34 almost 34 weeks and I got a promotion at work in the middle of July. They knew I was pregnant and going to be on leave. I think you have to have faith in people. If anything you can use being pregnant to your advantage during the interview process. You are pregnant and still pushing for bigger and better things!!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I had this issue when I was pg with DD.  I got to a point where I was no longer able to hide the fact that I was pg and stopped my job search at 36 wks. One of the last interviews that I went on you could visually see that I was pg cause I was around 28 weeks and I came right out and told them when they asked if I had anything planned during the 12 wk training period.  They were very understanding and I was called back for a second interview against 3 other people and ended up not getting the position cause there was an applicant that had 10+ years experience compared to my 3 years.  If the subject doesn't come up I wouldn't say anything cause at 28 weeks pg its pretty obvious a person is expecting.  GL and HTH
  • imagewhittier06:
    I feel like if you don't tell them and you get the job, it won't be a good start to a good relationship. It may make you seem dishonest, which sucks because you shouldn't have to tell them since it is possible they wont hire you because you are pregnant. I interned in a hospital HR department, and though you cant legally not hire someone due to pregnancy, they can come up with a million other reasons not to hire you. Good luck to you!

Completely agree with this!!!!

• I was in this same situation much earlier in my pregnancy (like 14 weeks). ?I decided that I would go to the interview, do my best, and then if they decided to offer me the job, I was planning on saying something along the lines of , "I am very interested and I would like to accept, but I need to tell you that I am pregnant." And ask them if this would cause any problems, etc. and see what their response was... even if they said no, no problems, I was sure the wording and tone of voice would suggest otherwise if there were to be a problem. At the time, I was thinking, "Why bring it up unless I have to?"?

At the same time, I realize they could not legally then say, "Nevermind, we don't want to hire you." So, I did feel it was somewhat of a trap. ?It would probably be best for a long-term employer-employee relationship just to disclose it from the beginning. ?But I also think it depends on how badly you need or want the job. ?If you really, really need a job, then you have to do what is best for you. ?If it is the job you want, then you have to hope that your hard work and dedication from the start and before baby will be enough to show your employer how much you want this job (compared to just any job). ?

If you do disclose it at the interview, I would suggest do it at the end so they don't shorten up the interview because of it. ?That way, they still get ALL the information they were planning on getting BEFORE they found out you were pregnant. ?It might just be enough to get you the job even if they have all the facts.

Good luck!?

Pregnancy Ticker
  • I'm still torn on this issue.  You don't have any legal obligation to tell.  But what about a personal/moral one?  It would be like hiding something from an employer which will make them wonder what else you're not being upfront about.  I guess I wouldn't broadcast it but I wouldn't go to extremes to hide it either.  Then it's their call. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I interviewed for a position and was offered the job at 4 months.  I told them when they initially called to offer me an interview that I didn't want to waste their time or mine and wanted them to know I was pregnant before I came in to interview.  They were very complimentary of my honesty and said that went a long way.  I was glad I told them upfront, but this obviously wouldn't always be the case.  Just sharing!
  • I would not mention it until the job is offered. 

Go through the interview, and wait for the phone call.

When they offer, tell them how far along you are and see if they want to proceed with the hiring.  

image image
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Thanks. I'm showing obviously so I don't think I would be able to "hide" my belly even if I wanted to. So I'm just hoping they don't not hire me because I'm pregnant. I really do need this job so we will see how it goes.
  • I'm currently looking for a little part time job, and have no intentions of telling them I'm pregnant.  It gets into the whole discrimination thing.
    BabyFruit TickerLilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers image image
  • I usually don't post, just lurk, but I was recently in this same situation so I thought I could add some insight. 

I applied for one job at the beginning of July.  It was a job I knew I would love and have been hoping would pop up sometime.  I decided to apply knowing that my pregnancy could keep me form getting the job.  When they called to do a phone interview I was about 33 weeks.  I did the phone interview but did not tell them at that time.  I wanted to wait and see if I got a call back.  They did call back for a face-to-face interview.  I chose to tell them at that time that I was pregnant and I did not want to catch anyone off guard at the interview.  The HR person said that it was not a problem (like she's supposed to).  I did the face-to-face interview and training times were brought up.  Turns out they wanted people to fly to a different state to train about a week before I was due.  I let them know that I was due Sept. 15th so could not fly, but talked about how much I really wanted this job...blah blah blah.  She said that if they decided to hire me they would work around that.  Again, I expected nothing, but then got a call for a 3rd interview.  Basically, I ended up getting the job and I am starting after I come back from maternity leave.

I really didn't want to start things off dishonestly and figured that if I wasn't hired it was likely because I was pregnant.  When I did get hired I felt it spoke a lot to the character of the company and managers.  I think you should be honest with them and take whatever comes of it.  People can suprise you....they sure suprised me!

• I'm having the same problem right now. Technically you don't have to tell them. I always feel bad and let them know towards the end of the interview that I am expecting but that I would be really commited to the job if they decide to hire me. Unfortunately now I'm 32 weeks along and can't exactly hide it from them any more.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"