June 2011 Moms
Options

How many oz during feeding?

I'm a slightly worried about how many oz my little one takes per feeding. When we give her a bottle she will take anywhere from 2-3 oz and she's done and won't take anymore. Everything I've read says that she should be taking 4-5 oz by this point... I'm not super worried about it because she is gaining weight... Just a little confused as to why she's so far off from everything else I've read! The only thing I can figure is its partly because she's stuck on the every 2 hour time frame and will not budge from it.
forum

Re: How many oz during feeding?

• Options

I was going to say - how often is she eating? I think 4-5 oz is generally about right for every 3 hours.

Are you still nursing some too? When I had my surgery and DH was bottle feeding her, she'd only take 2-3 oz at a feeding, but it seemed like she was tying herself over until she could nurse again. Now she's at DC and they said the 4oz they are giving her every 3 aren't enough and I need to send 5. (which freaks me out because if it keeps increasing I don't know if I can keep up with her pumping!)

photo image_zps90e45ea2.jpg
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    If your LO is eating every 2 hrs then that seems like enough.  Maybe she just has a small tummy.  My LO is eating 4 oz every 3-4 hrs so that is the same about your LO is getting.  He is just spacing his feedings and your LO is just eating closer together.  
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Ah, thanks! She is still nursing and she spends about 20 - 30 minutes there when I feed her in the morning before work and in the evening after work, and she's much more efficient before bed... So maybe she is just trying to hold herself over till she gets the real deal straight from the source!
    forum
  • Options

I'm sure if she's getting enough per day, then she's fine.  A lot of the things I've read help you calculate how much they should be eating per day, not necessarily per feeding.  If she's gaining weight at a healthy rate, then I'd say you're fine.  If you're worried, call your pedi.  Mine are always very nice about all those FTM questions I seem to have :)

LO eats 7oz at a time (at least from his bottles while I'm at work), but he only eats every 4-5 hours.  I don't think he's of the norm, though.  When I was talking to the daycare teachers to start him up, they were floored by that amount.  

Lilypie - (JzKZ) Lilypie - (DgGJ)

• Options

imagevigurl:
    If your LO is eating every 2 hrs then that seems like enough.  Maybe she just has a small tummy.  My LO is eating 4 oz every 3-4 hrs so that is the same about your LO is getting.  He is just spacing his feedings and your LO is just eating closer together.  

Same here. D will eat 4 - 5 oz every 3 - 4 hours. If he does only drink 2oz, he's guaranteed to be looking for more within an hour or so.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

And Then There Were Three...
    Married: 08/14/10
    Baby #1 Born: 06/18/11
    June Moms Blog
  • Options

I would go by total oz per day, rather than per feeding.  See if she's getting enough volume daily, but if weight gain is good, the pedi should be happy. I would give them a call if you have any concerns!

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Boy/Girl twins born at 36w1d via c-section Chloe Mae 6lb 2oz Chase Christopher 6lb 0oz
  • Options
    My son eats 4oz about every 2.5-4 hours.  Once in a blue moon he'll eat 5 but that's rare.  Sometimes he'll eat just 2-3 oz.  It freaks me out, too, but he seems fine and he's growing.   He eats about 28-30 ounces a day which is the number i'm most concerned about. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options

We are also on the 3 oz every 2 hours schedule.  He is gaining weight but not eating the 30 oz a day that is recommended.  As long as he continues to gain weight, I'm OK with it.  I call him my little snacker.  He has only ever eaten 5 oz at a time once and 4 oz at a time a half a dozen times.  I wonder when he will start eating more at a time.   

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    My baby girl just started taking 4 oz every 3-4 hours. She was stuck at 3-3.5 for about 2 months but she's growing fine so I'm not worried.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Wedding Countdown Ticker
  • Options
    DD is taking 3 oz every 3 hours. She was eating 4 oz every 4 hours until we started her on rice cereal for reflux. Now she eats less but I think the rice has something to do with that.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"