Adoption

back pain for adoptive moms

About two weeks after our little one was born my lower back started to hurt.  A couple weeks later I could barely move - hurts the worst to bend at the waist - which makes it difficult to pick the little guy up!  Went to a doc in the box and they gave me an anti-inflammatory.  They said this was pretty common for adoptive moms because our bodies haven't been preparing and carrying extra weight for 9 months.  Anyway, I can move a little better now, but it just won't heal completely!  I have good days and bad days.  Anyone else experience this?  Any advice?  I think my next step will be to try and get in to see my regular doctor.
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: back pain for adoptive moms

• I would try alternating ice packs and heating pads. Also, you may want to see a chiropractor and get a back adjustment. I suffer from lower back pain and the weekly trips to the chiro help me.

• I get back pain off and on.  Had some when dd was first born. DH had surgery in the spring and I had to do ALL of the lifting - that made it really hard.  DD is up to about 26 lbs now and I don't have that much upper body strength!

I know it's not a longterm solution but do you have a heating pad? That helped me a bit.  And I would ask other people for help (besides dh) when they were around - that helped, too.

Hope you feel better.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Every time DD has a growth spurt I get a sore back for a little while.
  • I had to start seeing a chiro once a month after we got DD- toting her around and carring the infant carrier totally made my back hurt.

Our Journey from two to three! 3 IUI's, 2 IVF's, decided to move to foster/adopt. 12/24/2009 Baby C born, 2/1/2010 placed with us, 5/17/2011 Adoption final- we are finally a forever family! Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • After I gave birth to my 8 year old I had this issue. He was a chubby baby and I was a very small adult.
    Stay at Home Mama to 3 Beautiful Children by the miracles of Birth & Adoption
  • The ice idea is a great one..I used to work as a nurse on neurology floor. In addition to the ice, you need to take 4-6 HOT showers a day for 15 minutes each. Just let the hot water hit your back. As hot as you can stand it. (obviously do not burn yourself). Anti-inmflammatories and avoid carrying that bulky infant car seat.

the showers will work, I promise.

"Onward"--CathyMD Waiting since 07/5/2011 for our forever child! Yep we are adopting!
  • Another thing I haven't seen mentioned.  Start waorking out your abs.  They can take the excess weight until your back adjusts.  The stronger your abs are, the less your back has to work.

I used to work in a hospital changing bedding and lifting patients in and out of bed, etc.  My back killed me until I started working my abs.  It made a huge difference in a short period of time.  So get to those crunches and good luck!  Back pain is no fun!

TTC since May 2006. After 3 failed Clomid cycles, 2 failed Injectibles/IUIs, 2 failed IVFs and 1 failed FET, we moved on to adoption! 

Last ditch FET resulted in BFP, and identical twin girls!

• I hope you feel better soon! **mentally tucking this away as motivation to go to the gym**
    Trying to grow our family with both fertility treatments and adoption since March 2009 
    IUIs#1-4 = BFN, IVF#1 = c/p, IVF#2 = OHSS, FET#1=BFP
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • I have a back fusion, so yes, occasionally I have back issues.  My best suggestion is to work on your core strength--yoga, pilates, etc.  When I  slack off the exercise for a while, I start to feel it in my back.

A good muscle relaxant always helps, too.  Wink

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker<Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker>
  • I experienced the same thing.  When I adopted my son, he was four months old and so I went from lugging nothing to an extra 16 pounds of weight and boy I didn't realize how much I wasn't prepared for that.  Your back gets totally out of whack.  I also was put on muscle relazers and anti inflammatory.  It didn't get much better so I ended up in physical therapy.
  • I keep telling everyone that for the first month my upper back and shoulders were constantly just tired from carrying him.  Thankfully I didn't have any major pain, but was definitely sore!  My friends that have given birth talk about the same thing after bringing their babies home so I'm not sure it's just adoptive moms that have it!
    TTC #1 since 12/07 SA 9/08=borderline normal HSG 1/09 found R tube blocked Multiple IUIs both with oral and injectible drugs from 2/09-2/11 Started domestic adoption process in 5/10, homestudy complete 9/10 Failed adoption after home with baby for 2 weeks 11/10 Blessed through the miracle of private adoption with a son, born 6/6/11 (his grandma's bday) 7lbs 9oz 20.5 inches long! So worth the wait!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"