TTC after 35

An anniversary of sorts

After having a m/c last year, it took months for AF to come back. It finally came again at the end of Aug, so Sept was the first month we were TTC again.

Looking back after a year, I can't believe how much has changed for me. DH got a job in NYC and we moved. I left a full time job and started freelancing when I got here.  And TTC became my full-time second job. ; )

Joking aside, I do feel like I became obsessed. I was sure I'd get KU again quickly (it only took 3 months the 1st time).  I thought if I started seeing an RE everything would just fall into place. I wish I could go back and tell my 2010 self to chill out and stop worrying. To save her emotional energy, because it's going to be a long ride. And to cut her DH some slack. Also, I'd tell her to PLEASE not miss out on fun things and sit home worrying. I did way too much of that.

Anyway, I thought I'd share for anyone in the same place as me, and for those of you just getting started. I'm not a veteran of IF by any means. And I've had a much easier path than many of you.

Also, thanks for the year of support. It's meant everything to me. Here's to the year to come and all of the wonderful things (including babies) it will bring us!

Where were you in this process a year ago? Anything you would tell your 2010 self?

Me = 38, Husband = 31. TTC since 1/10. M/C at 8 wks 5/10. Started trying again 9/10. All tests normal: AMH/MIS, FSH, HSG, SA. Estradoil high. 6/20/11 - Clomid+Ovidrel+IUI#1=BFN. 7/17/11 - Clomid+IUI#2=BFN. 2 natural cycles = BFN. 10/6/11 - Clomid+Ovidrel+IUI#3=BFN. 10/31/11 - Clomid+Ovidrel+IUI#4 = BFN. 11/26/11 - Follistim+Ovidrel+IUI#5 = BFN. IVF#1 - Menopur+Follistim. 2 ET 5/11/12 = BFN.

Re: An anniversary of sorts

• This will be a depressing response but I would NEVER want to tell my 2010 self what was going to happen in 2011... I also don't want my 2012 self to tell me about the rest of this year because I would never get out of bed then.

TTC #1 since 8/1/10; Me:41 and BRCA1+, DH:46
    DOR (FSH 24.3)/ terrible egg quality ; homozygous MTHFR c677t
    5 IUI's: 2/11 to 6/11 and 1/12= BFN
    OE IVF#1-4 8/11-6/12= all BFN
    DE IVF#1 11/12 bad embryos= BFN
    DE IVF #2 2/13 BFP/Beta hell: m/c 5w6d
    CFNBC 7 months, not doing well; decided on guarantee program at RBA w/frozen DE
    DE IVF #3 1/14  ET 4BB; BFP;M/C 5w1d, incomplete m/c; MVA extraction in ER 7w1d

DE FET#1 ET 3/1714; BFP, beta 1 3/27= 197, beta 2 3/31= 1586, beta 3 4/7= 13879!!
    First u/s= Twins with HBs at 6w2d! We are Team Pink x 2!!

K & K born 11/21/14 at 38wks 4 days

imageimage

SAIF/PAIF Welcome

http://waitingforraintostop.wordpress.com

• I wish I could say "Happy Anniversary" but there really isn't anything happy about this kind of milestone.  My wish for you is that this is the ONLY anniversary you have.  :)

As for what I would tell my 2010 self:  That is a hard question!  I WANT to tell her that it is GOING to happen..don't give up.  But by this time last year I was already TTC for a year with nothing to show for it.  :(  I WANT to tell her to have faith.  I WANT to tell her that it WILL happen when the time is right.  It's hard to believe all of that now that it has been TWO years but that is what I would LIKE to tell her.

Me: 40 Dh: 41, TTC since August 2009, began Acupuncture and Herbs Sept 2011, began Temping and Charting Nov 2011. image
  • Loading the player...
  • Sorry if this is depressing. I guess I was thinking of how naive I was a year ago, and how I wish I had more knowledge then about IF and how long the process can take. I was clueless and it caused me a lot anxiety every month. I feel like I'm in a much better place, emotionally, now.

And I wouldn't tell my younger self it was going to take forever, I would just try to  tell her to be patient.

OK, this is making less and less sense as I write it! Time traveling IF advice session over. : )

Me = 38, Husband = 31. TTC since 1/10. M/C at 8 wks 5/10. Started trying again 9/10. All tests normal: AMH/MIS, FSH, HSG, SA. Estradoil high. 6/20/11 - Clomid+Ovidrel+IUI#1=BFN. 7/17/11 - Clomid+IUI#2=BFN. 2 natural cycles = BFN. 10/6/11 - Clomid+Ovidrel+IUI#3=BFN. 10/31/11 - Clomid+Ovidrel+IUI#4 = BFN. 11/26/11 - Follistim+Ovidrel+IUI#5 = BFN. IVF#1 - Menopur+Follistim. 2 ET 5/11/12 = BFN.
  • I get what you are saying and for MOST people, you are correct, that eventually it will happen so you can save yourself some heartache/stress while waiting. But unfortunately, that is not true for all as some people will never get their happy ending. This is why I should just not post right now! I am a debbie downer and I can't help it.  More wine, please!

DE FET#1 ET 3/1714; BFP, beta 1 3/27= 197, beta 2 3/31= 1586, beta 3 4/7= 13879!!

imageimage

SAIF/PAIF Welcome

• A year ago I was considering starting to chart my cycles because I wasn't KU yet, but I was also distracted by planning our wedding, so I couldn't get too worried about T-TTC yet.

I wouldn't want my 2011 self to go anywhere near my 2010 self. Ignorance was bliss!

Sorry for the unhappy anniversary.

TTC #1 since June 2010
    Me: 36, DH: 42
    Dx: DOR and MFI

DH: low count + very low motility; hormones all normal; Sperm DNA Frag. test = poor to fair; male karyotyping normal
    Me: FSH 13.4 + AMH 0.26 + hypothyroidism; Scratch the hypothyrodism (?); Blood clotting and immune panel all negative; endometrial biopsy normal

IVF #1 (MDLF - Jul/Aug 2011): BFN (9R, 5M, 3F with ICSI, 3dt of 1 10-cell grade 2, no frosties)
    IVF #2 (EP-antagonist - Sep/Oct 2011): BFN (6R, 4M, 3F w/ ICSI, 3dt of 1 6-cell, 1 7-cell, grade 4s, no frosties)
    DE IVF #1 (shared cycle - June 2012): c/p (6R, 6F w/ICSI, 3dt 1 8-cell grade A- and 1 7-cell grade A-; no frosties)
    DE IVF #2 (shared cycle with new donor - Nov/Dec/ 2012): - BFP!!!!! 12/14/12. U/S on 12/27 shows twins!!!!!

SAIFW/PAIFW
  • imageMrs.McIrish:
    I get what you are saying and for MOST people, you are correct, that eventually it will happen so you can save yourself some heartache/stress while waiting. But unfortunately, that is not true for all as some people will never get their happy ending. This is why I should just not post right now! I am a debbie downer and I can't help it.  More wine, please!

It could be worse.  My RE took my wine.

BFP on IVF #2 6/29/2012. Beta #1 7/3 = 522; Beta #2 = 1180; Beta #3 = 6491 image BabyFruit Ticker
  • imageMrs.McIrish:
    I get what you are saying and for MOST people, you are correct, that eventually it will happen so you can save yourself some heartache/stress while waiting. But unfortunately, that is not true for all as some people will never get their happy ending. This is why I should just not post right now! I am a debbie downer and I can't help it.  More wine, please!

Please pass me the wine bottle, if there's any left!

• imageCountry Girl in the City:

imageMrs.McIrish:

It could be worse.  My RE took my wine.

Yeah, mine did too. I took it back after the negative!

imageimage

SAIF/PAIF Welcome

• Last year at this time, I finally made an appt with an RE.  I would tell my 2010 self to get tested for PCOS immediately because it took over a year to diagnose using a blood test as I don't have any physical signs (besides really long cycles and delayed ovulation).  I would also tell myself to go to an acupuncturist specializing in IF vs. wasting time with a general practitioner. 

This year has flown by - I guess that's what happens when you start living cycle to cycle.  :(

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • (Hugs)
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • One year ago at this time I would have been ovulating on the cycle that I actually got KU on.  Looking back now, I would tell myself to be realistic about the possibility of something going wrong and I would not let myself get so excited that I started buying a bunch of maternity clothes when I was only 6 wks pg -- only to be haunted by them still arriving in the mail after finding out I was going to have a m/c.  Oh, and I would also tell myself to make DH go to the first ultrasound appt with me so I wouldn't have to be alone when I got the bad news. Yeah, that sucked a lot. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Last Sept i got off b/c thinking here we go, i am ready for # 2 and was so excited,  and have to hurry up since i was 38, now a year later at 39, i can't believe i am here, i took for granted that i had DD with no issues and thought somehow all i need was to want to have another , i was in for a shock, i would tell my 2010 self to enjoy every minute of DD and not worry so much about TTC for #2, this is what i am currently telling myself, and taking this month off of trying.

easier said then done, but i am trying.

BabyFruit Ticker Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • imageELF4321:
    I would not let myself get so excited that I started buying a bunch of maternity clothes when I was only 6 wks pg. 

I did the same thing when I was KU! I ran out and bought a bunch of maternity clothes thinking "If I wait until I'm showing all the cute summer stuff will be gone." I was such an idiot. Returning the piles of clothes after my m/c was almost as hard as having the d&c.

I also started pre-natal yoga when I was only 6 wks. I tell you, I was seriously naive.

• I would tell myself to force my previous RE to test my AMH levels so that I had that information going into IUIs; then I would tell myself to ONLY do 3 IUIs, not 6, before moving to IVF.  Then I would also tell myself to have been working with the other RE in town from the start.  And, I would tell myself not to stop running regularly just because of IUIs...it's thanks to that, in part, that I'm now calorie-counting (as of just a week ago) to try to lose 25-30 lbs. 

Blecch!! It wasn't a great year, that's for sure....

Fingers crossed for all of us that the next one is far, far better.

me - 41 (dx: DOR); DH - 53 (no problems); 7/18/09 - married!; 8/4/09 - BFP on first (real)try; 9/14/09 - missed m/c; 9/15/09 - d&c; 11/09 - 3/10 - 4 natural cycles = BFN; 4/10 - dx hyperthyroidism caused by Graves' disease; 6/10 - thyroidectomy; 7/10 - 12/10 - 1 natural and 5 medicated IUI cycles = BFN; 1/11 - new RE; dx low ovarian reserve (AMH .42; 1/26/11 -- BFP (ectopic) from IUI #6; methotrexate 2/10/11; 6/2/11 - IVF #1 = BFN; 9/12/11 - prescreening for DE; 9/15/11 - IUI #7 (unmedicated)= BFN; 11/8 - begin DE cycle (shared risk program); 12/5 - ER (5 eggs/4 mature/3 fertilized/2 left by day 5) 12/10 - ET of one 1BB blast (expanded, "fair" quality), none to freeze; 12/22 - totally shocked by +hpt; beta #1 = 413; #2 = 3952 2/14 - CVS reveals a healthy baby girl! EDD: 8/27/12 DD born 8/31/12, 10 lbs 10 oz and perfect in every way. 
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"