June 2011 Moms

Getting ready (YOU, not LO)

So I'm curious how you women get ready for work, outings, dates, whatever. Before LO, I'd spend at least 1 hour each morning getting ready for work (shower, hair, makeup, putting together my outfit). I used to LOVE getting dolled up every Saturday night for DH, now not so much. I don't have time.

Right now I'm on maternity leave, so during the week it's just shower, hair washed every other day (in a pony tail), and a dust of face bronzer and lip gloss, jeans and whatever top doesn't need ironing. I can' imagine having time to get ready for work when I go back. 

So how do you get ready?

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: Getting ready (YOU, not LO)

• I didn't get too dolled up before LO. But now it's impossible. Shower every other day, pony tail every day, mascara if I go out, and shorts and a cute shirt if I have one that's clean after being spit up on all day.

Extremely thick wavy hair + no time + humidity = ponytail 

DSC_0213 

BabyFruit Ticker

• This is a typical work day for me...

Wake up at 7:30am, brush my teeth, wash my face, put on lotion

Go downstairs, pump, wash/sterilize accesories, prepare my lunch bag

Go back upstairs---dress, put jewelry, either eyeshadow or eyeliner depending on how much sleep I got the night before and out the door, I typically leave the house at 810am..I work 10 minutes away so I make in time at 8:30a

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • imageragazza988:

This is a typical work day for me...

Wake up at 7:30am, brush my teeth, wash my face, put on lotion

Go downstairs, pump, wash/sterilize accesories, prepare my lunch bag

Go back upstairs---dress, put jewelry, either eyeshadow or eyeliner depending on how much sleep I got the night before and out the door, I typically leave the house at 810am..I work 10 minutes away so I make in time at 8:30a

Wosers!! You're supermom, haha I totally forgot about jewelry. Sometimes I even forget my wedding band  :(

• Today is my first day back to work. I got up at 5:30, showered, blow dried hair, Callie woke up so I put her mobile on to entertain her while I did my makeup. I then fed her, got changed, changed her, grabbed all of my bags for the day (5!) and was out the door around 7am.
    ~Chelsea~
    image"">imageimage
  • Luckily I've always been pretty low maintenence, so it hasn't been too big of a change for me.

This is my first week back, but so far I've been showering and getting all my stuff together the night before so in the morning I can wake up at 5, fix my hair (takes probably 10 minutes to shape it with the straightener), put on a little mascara (maybe a little eyeshadow if I'm feeling it. I don't wear much makeup), and get my clothes together. Then I wake up the peanut, feed her, put her back to bed. Then I get dressed, grab my stuff, and head out by 6!

photo image_zps90e45ea2.jpg
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • I rarely put makeup on. Only time I've ever put makeup on is if I suspect someone will try to take my picture. =D  So... My routine is...

4:45 AM - LO wakes up for feeding. 

5:15 AM - Throw clothes in dryer on wrinkle release cycle

5:30 AM - 10-15 minutes on elliptical

5:45 AM - get dressed and get LO in carrier

6 AM - leave for my parents, so dad can watch her, and mom carpools with me to work.

Really the only thing that has changed is I get up earlier to nurse her and put her in her carrier once I'm ready. Everything else is pretty much the same. I shower at night, so I don't have to deal with that in the morning... I've always been pretty low-key, so my routine is still just about the same. I just have a better excuse as to why my hair is in a pnoytail! =)

forum
  • I leave around 7 every other day.

I usually take about an hour to get ready. 

LO loves her swing and any type of white noise.

so I just take her swing in the bathroom while I shower, and she usually falls asleep to the sound of the fan and the water.

When I get out I take the swing to my room. Sometimes she wakes up, I nurse her, and turn on the hair dryer. She LOVES the sound of the hair dryer and falls asleep again. 

If she didn't love the swing and white noise so much, I'd be out of luck. 

ETA--edited to clarify

• since going back to work two days a week I do all the same stuff. Actually I think now I do my hair every time...before I used to throw it up some days. Since I only work two days it's my "grown up" time and a chance to look nice ;)

DD sleeps in so I just wake her up to nurse before I leave when I am done getting ready. I get to get ready with no interruptions! Saturdays I load he up to go to Grandma and Grandpas. Tuesdays she goes back down right away because DH is home with her.

• Here is my morning routine (bearing in mind that DH does daycare drop off with both kids, he goes into work later than I do):

I shower & blow dry my hair at night (and I only wash my hair every other night), so that cuts out a lot of time for me in the morning.  My alarm goes off at 5:25, I wash my face, drag a straightener over my hair if it needs it, put on make up, make the bed, get dressed (this takes probably 25 minutes total)  I'm usually downstairs by 6am.  I then drink my coffee while I do any other morning tasks (pack my lunch, get my pump parts together, etc...)  I wake my oldest son up around 6:20 if he's not up yet, and get him breakfast, then get him dressed (DH is getting himself ready while I do all of this)

If Liam wakes up before 6:30 or so, I'll nurse him...if not, DH gives him a bottle.  I leave the house by 6:50am. 

What really helps is having EVERYTHING ready the night before.  I lay out all of the kids clothes, my clothes, pack DS1's lunch, get all of the bottles ready, etc...anything that can be done, we do.

Sometimes it still feels hectic, but I think we're kind of starting to fall into a routine! 

The Blog - Parenting: Uncensored

Photos from Libby Hilf Photography

imageimage

Jake - 1.15.08
    Liam - 5.17.11
  • This is my ideal schedule for work days...I'd say it occurs like this 50% of the time, hah! I don't do makeup every day for work; it's not necessary for me to look super-polished at my job, and I don't feel a personal need to wear it every day.

6:30: Wake up, take shower, brush teeth, put in contacts, dry hair (straighten my bangs and let the rest go wild--my typical summer look), get dressed

7: wake up baby if she's not awake yet, change her, feed her, change her again if she needs it, get in some snuggles, then put her back down to sleep for another few hours

7:40: take dogs out, feed dogs, get my pumping stuff together, get my lunch together, put on shoes and jewelry, kiss DH goodbye and then I'm out the door by 8 to make it to the office by 8:30

This morning my schedule went all to hell. The baby woke up at 5:30 to eat, then I was just going to shut my eyes for a few after she was done eating. Fast forward to 7:55 when I woke up...yeah I was a little late to the office today.

imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I have never been one to take a long time to get ready- I prefer to sleep.  In the winter I will actually dry my hair or it freezes but that's about it.  I just pull it half back in a clip everyday and most of the time I comb through it in the car.  I keep a makeup bag at work and will put it on if I have a meeting.

At home I've always been a sweats/yoga pants person.  The times DH and I go out I usually will try to dress up a bit, do my hair and put on makeup just because I think it's nice to make an effort.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I sit LO in his bouncer in the bathroom with music on... he sits there watching me shower and get ready......   lol.... i'm probably scaring him for life :)
  • How do I get ready?  I cross my fingers that she sleeps until 7!  I'm lucky in that DH is home as well, so if she wakes up earlier than that, he'll take care of her.  However, once he goes back to work (next week sometime...we're unsure of which day) he'll be on midnights and not getting home in the morning until after 7 a.m. so I'm screwed!
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"