North Carolina Babies
Options

Bed transition with crib still in her room - thoughts?

I had my hopes up after S got super pumped about her big girl bed and slept in it all night the first night.

But last night, S asked for her story in the big girl bed, and when I began tucking her in and saying goodnight she begged to go back to the baby bed. So I just said "sure" and put her in the crib. This morning when I asked her about sleeping in the baby bed, she kindly offered her big girl bed for the new baby and said she'll just keep her baby bed. Oh dear.

We don't have an extra room for a nursery right now, so the crib is staying in her room. [ETA: As in, they will share a room until we get a bigger house.] Right now I'm thinking I'll just keep putting her in the crib if she wants for a while and let her get used to the thought of the big bed and hope she just starts wanting to sleep there soonish on her own. Is that just wishful thinking too?

Any thoughts? 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Bed transition with crib still in her room - thoughts?

• Options
    That would be what I would do.  We purchased a second crib when baby #2 was coming because we just didn't feel like DD1 was ready to give up her crib.  It offers them a lot of security.  Maybe she'll warm up to it or you may have to get rid of it eventually and give her no option. 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers

My Sweet Girls

• Options

imageWendyNC:
    That would be what I would do.  We purchased a second crib when baby #2 was coming because we just didn't feel like DD1 was ready to give up her crib.  It offers them a lot of security.  Maybe she'll warm up to it or you may have to get rid of it eventually and give her no option. 

This.  Otherwise, if you think she's getting confused by the crib being there but is ready for the big girl bed, I would just take down the crib and put it up when the baby is going to use it.  DD#2 will be sharing a room with DD#1 but I wanted her to first be used to sleeping in a twin before adding her big sister to the equation, so we took down the crib in what will be the baby's room and put DD#2's twin up instead.  DH will just put the crib back up in March after DD#2 has moved into DD#1's room. 

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

ds actually slept in our room until we moved him to his own room around 14 months... at the time i was pg and we wanted to start transitioning him to a toddler bed so we'd be able to use the crib for dd. 

well he wasn't ready for the toddler bed until he got used to his new room first, so we had both beds set up in his room(since they'd be sharing his room eventually, plus we didn't have anywhere to put the crib if we took it apart!) and would ask which bed he wanted to sleep in.  99% of the time it was the crib. 

are you planning on having a pnp in your room for baby for a while in the beginning?  if so then i wouldn't worry too much about having her be in the toddler bed 100% of the time.  it only took a week or two before ds was in his toddler bed full time.  

• Options
    We had Allie's big girl bed set up in her room for about 2 months before she started sleeping in it.  She would nap in it every now and then, then she wanted to sleep the night in it and never looked back.
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Thanks - hearing your stories helps me remember everything is temporary.

I am also thinking I should just stop worrying about stuff so much. She happily slept in her big girl bed again last night. Go figure.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"