Breastfeeding
Options

LC: Supplemented, now I want to go back to EBF

One of the lactation nurses at my hospital bullied me until she convinced me that I needed to supplement formula because my baby wasn't gaining weight fast enough. Now my supply is going down. I got 2 oz (total from both breasts) this morning pumping, and at lunch I pumped again and only got .5 oz (total from both)... Now I'm frustrated and trying everything to boost my supply back up.

Another lactation nurse suggested that I nurse her right when I get to my parents house after work to help keep my supply up. I've been doing that this week since getting back to work. I've been doing that. I've been drinking a lot of water, and drinking Mother's Milk (it worked a few weeks ago, but now it seems to have no effect), and I'm taking naps to rest more...

I'm down to my last resort that I can think of. Getting in touch with the lactation department at my hospital and setting up a consultation to see if it's just the pump that's the problem, or if it's me. Anytime we give her a bottle she takes anywhere from 2-3 oz and she's done... I would think by 2 months she should be consuming more? She's still pretty consistent with her 2 hour time frame on eating... So I don't know if 2-3 oz is okay since she still eats every 2 hours... 

When I'm at work I have access to a hospital grade pump, and all that seemed to do was pumped out the 2 oz this morning faster than my PISA does.... If I keep using the hospital grade pump at work consistently will it boost my supply? 

forum

Re: LC: Supplemented, now I want to go back to EBF

• Options

I'm not an LC but I would suggest to use the hospital grade pump at work and pump for a longer period of time.  If you're pumping for 15 minutes, pump for 15, massage your breast, then pump for 15 more minutes to get a second letdown.

At your DD's age 2-3 oz is perfect!  My DD never took a bottle but my niece did (mom EP for 13 months) and at 13 months still only drank 5-6 oz of BM.  Your milk changes with the baby's needs so they don't increase the amount like FF babies do.   

I also suggest eating oatmeal in the mornings.  

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickersLilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    imageQmommy:

I'm not an LC but I would suggest to use the hospital grade pump at work and pump for a longer period of time.  If you're pumping for 15 minutes, pump for 15, massage your breast, then pump for 15 more minutes to get a second letdown.

At your DD's age 2-3 oz is perfect!  My DD never took a bottle but my niece did (mom EP for 13 months) and at 13 months still only drank 5-6 oz of BM.  Your milk changes with the baby's needs so they don't increase the amount like FF babies do.   

I also suggest eating oatmeal in the mornings.  

Thanks for the response!!!! I kept worrying about the 2-3 oz and then someone else said exactly what you did, that the BM changes to suit their needs and I relaxed a little. 

The hospital grade pump worked wonders for me today. I've already doubled what I was able to pump last week. Thanks to all the herbs and oatmeal! I guess I'm going to have to learn to love oatmeal!!!

forum
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"