Eco-Friendly Family

Long shot: canners/tomato soup makers :P

I am making tomato soup right now to can, and the recipe I have isn't very specific on if the tomatoes need to be peeled or seeded or anything. I've never made homemade tomato soup before (I'm not into it, but H loves the old Cambell's...trying to get something a little better for him), so I guess I just really don't know.

So, should I peel and core the tomatoes? Or does it all cook down? I'm supposed to blend it after cooking, so does that take care of everything? TIA!

Follow Me on Pinterest
Lily loves her new little sister!
Lily Sue 8.17.2009
Forever loved and missed...Dot 6.14.10, Little Bit 8.20.10, Speck 3.16.11
Adair Leigh 3.27.12

Re: Long shot: canners/tomato soup makers :P

• I don't peel or seed mine, but I make a fairly chunky versionSmile I also freeze it rather than can. I hope yours turns out yummy!!

"I prayed for this child and the Lord has granted what I asked of him." ~1 Samuel 1:27
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    "Whatever it takes, we walk together." ~Pittsburgh Penguins
    My IF-turned-baby blog
  • I would peel and seed and all that jazz.  The peels just slide off and curl up, and I personally think its kinda gross.  And even pureeing, I don't know that it would take care of all the seeds.  Especially if you want it to be smooth like Campbells.
    Photobucket Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Thanks! I opted for peeling and getting most of the seeds, but I left some because DH told me he wanted "kind of a chunky tomato soup." lol So I pureed them a bit in my food processor and now they are cooking down with an onion and sea salt. Smells amazing!

Follow Me on Pinterest
    Lily Sue 8.17.2009
    Adair Leigh 3.27.12
  • image1Thess517:
    Thanks! I opted for peeling and getting most of the seeds, but I left some because DH told me he wanted "kind of a chunky tomato soup." lol So I pureed them a bit in my food processor and now they are cooking down with an onion and sea salt. Smells amazing!

Yum! We grew up eating tomato soup, but stopped in the last year or so because of the processing and HFCS.  I hope it turns out! 

Photobucket Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I would peel and seed or run it through a food mill.

• imageshaunna&chad:

image1Thess517:
    Thanks! I opted for peeling and getting most of the seeds, but I left some because DH told me he wanted "kind of a chunky tomato soup." lol So I pureed them a bit in my food processor and now they are cooking down with an onion and sea salt. Smells amazing!

Yum! We grew up eating tomato soup, but stopped in the last year or so because of the processing and HFCS.  I hope it turns out! 

I've been trying to make over some of H's worst eating habits (he's miles ahead of his parents though...::gagmeboxedmashedpotatoes::) and I'm not sure why I decided to give up some of my precious and few and far between tomatoes to do this.

Ok. It has cooked down on a very low fire for about 3.5 hours, but it hasn't thickened up at all...will it thicken up if I puree it? Maybe I should add some tomato paste? Suggestions?

Follow Me on Pinterest
    Lily Sue 8.17.2009
    Adair Leigh 3.27.12
  • I used bell peppers and onions in mine and peel the tomatos but I never got it thick.  Can't grow food since I moved though so I never figured it out

Me DOR amh .64 ng/mL  
    DH Brain Cancer
    BFP #1 12/11/08 DS born 8/23/09
    BFP#2 10/13/11 DC 11/4/11
    BFP#3 12/6/13 Lost 12/29/13
    Told IVF is the only option and have not found a clinic that will take me.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"