High-Risk Pregnancy

A question for those on Lovenox?

I've been doing my shots daily throughout this pregnancy and the burning is often worse than others, but I never paid it much attention. The other day, while I was icing, I was inspecting the syringe and noticed an air bubble, which I hadn't noticed before. Looking at the others in the box they all have it. So, for the last few days I've been priming the syringe and removing the bubble (usually at the tip so no medication is lost). I was never told to do this, but it really helps with the burning. Although, it does make the plunging a little more difficult, somehow there's more resistance - the only thing I can think is a little far fetched and that is that the air makes room for the liquid under the skin.

Has anyone else come up against this bubble? Have you been instructed to remove it/or not? Thanks!!

BFP #1 (baby Jude) M/C 11.09; BFP #2 c/p 01.10; BFP #3 (Little Bear) Missed M/C, D&C 09.10 at 12 weeks; BFP #4 c/p 01.11; BFP #5 our precious baby boy, born 11/20/11
Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: A question for those on Lovenox?

• I leave it in, but I've noticed a lot of resistance lately as well. Just last night I switched to injecting in my saddlebags (never thought is be so happy to have them!) because it was getting harder to grab my belly and there was no resistance. The only time I've ever had it burn is when I did it too fast (I also ice).
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • When I went on Lovenox the first time (for a DVT), the ER nurse showed me how to do the injections and specifically said to leave the bubble in.  I think she said it helps with absorption?  I don't remember for sure what the reason was, but I leave it in.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • I too have always been told to leave the bubble in the syringe. I removed it a few times and noticed no difference. I also notice that different days I can inject in different spots on my belly easier than others. I think a lot of it has to do with the sharpness of the needle. I have heard that the generic Lovenox has duller needles than name brand.

I don't use ice - I try to just bite the bullet get the needle in and out as quick as possible. I don't like to spend more time than I need to dealing with those needles.

• imageaglenn:
    When I went on Lovenox the first time (for a DVT), the ER nurse showed me how to do the injections and specifically said to leave the bubble in.  I think she said it helps with absorption?  I don't remember for sure what the reason was, but I leave it in.

Thanks for your responses. This absorption point is interesting. I may just go back to leaving the bubble in. I'm wondering is the resistance is coming from a toughening of the skin and areas in my sides where I do most of my injections. It's getting harder to find an inch to pinch!

Thanks again all. Sometimes it just helps to know others are dealing with the same questions/issues :) 

BFP #1 (baby Jude) M/C 11.09; BFP #2 c/p 01.10; BFP #3 (Little Bear) Missed M/C, D&C 09.10 at 12 weeks; BFP #4 c/p 01.11; BFP #5 our precious baby boy, born 11/20/11
  • The bubble is very important, please be sure that you are injecting it LAST.  It should be at the top, so that all of the liquid goes in first and then the bubble.  It seals the Lovenox in at the injection site and ensures that none of the liquid leaks back out.

As for the tension during injecting, I always attributed it to the needle itself and just assume some syringes are just tighter than others.  Will check with the pharmacist at my next appointment, and let you all know what she says.

"You reach deeper until you can find the strength.  That's all life is, one big fight after another."

Angel babies: 9/19/07, 10/08/09, 1/05/11

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"