Single Parents

"Custody" vs. "Parenting Time"

Can someone explain the difference between custody vs. parenting time?

I have somewhat of an understanding, but I don't feel solid about it.

TIA 

The nestie formerly known as MrsV2005. I just realized I have no recent pictures of me or the kids! Guess I need to get the camera out!

Re: "Custody" vs. "Parenting Time"

• I think custody, in the terms of physical custody, is who the child lives with.  I have sole physical custody, in my case, and XH has visitation.  Kids live with me, sleep here almost every night - he gets parenting time outlined in the court order (although we are pretty flexible).

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • imagedimake:

I think custody, in the terms of physical custody, is who the child lives with.  I have sole physical custody, in my case, and XH has visitation.  Kids live with me, sleep here almost every night - he gets parenting time outlined in the court order (although we are pretty flexible).

This. I think "parenting time" is a more politically correct way to say time spent with the noncustodial parent (as compared to saying visitation).

imageimage. Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • PP's are correct. Custody refers to which parent is the "custodial" parent and who the child lives with the majority of the time. Parenting Time is the new PC way of saying "visitation".

For example, I have full physical custody of my DS, and STBXH has parenting time EOW and Wednesday evenings (not that he utilizes his Wednesday's). I'm considered the custodial parent and STBXH is the non-custodial parent.

imageimageimage

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"