December 2010 Moms

What do you think of this 1st birthday plan?

L's bday is Jan. 2. This year, that is on a Monday. I really want to do his party on a Sunday because all our family and friends hate driving after dark in the winter, and of course that is anytime after 5, which makes weeknights out of the question. To do his party the week after his birthday is in conflict with my nephew's bday on Jan 9. So I think the only thing we can do is have it Jan 1. My family all does a big get-together at some point during the day with pork and saurkraut, etc (please tell me this is a traditional New Years Day food for everyone else too!)

We were thinking of doing a long drop-in party from about noon till 6 on the first, so people can come when it's convenient to them and we don't have to worry about L being tired and ready for a nap for the whole party like we would if we were having a 2 hour party like normal.

I told my mom the plan last night and she got all huffy about how people want to see him eat the cake, and that's the only reason people go to first birthday parties, etc. (Meaning, that's what she wants to take pictures of and witness, but anyway...) We are planning on having a bunch of friends and their ~1 year olds there, too, and I have a huge family that would all come. I don't have space for everyone to show up at once, and having an outdoor party is out of the question.

So now I am thinking of having a drop in from noon - 6, but I will add on the invitation that L will be getting his cake at 3, unless he is napping, in which case he will get his cake as soon as he wakes up.

Does this make sense? Would you go to a party on a "holiday" like this? Give me feedback before I get too excited about having a "good" plan!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFetus Ticker

Re: What do you think of this 1st birthday plan?

• i think thats a good idea!

FWIW, i dont go to first bdays just to watch the kid eat cake.  ive been to bdays before where it was a drop in like yours and i missed the cake eating and gift opening and i was fine with that.  as long as i got to see the LO and see him/her open *my* gift lol. 

• it sounds fine. people might not be able to come because it's Jan 1, though, in which case you might have plenty of space at your home afterall. 

I think it is a good idea to say the cake is at 3pm for people who are interested in that sort of thing. You might get a lot of people showing up around then, but there will be people who don't care about that in particular and will come earlier or later depending on what works for their schedule. 

Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • How many people were you planning on inviting? I think if it were my family, a New Year's Day party would actually be the BEST option, as everyone is off work, we'd get together anyways, etc.

I think I might agree with your mom, however, that most would want to witness birthday cake and presents. I'm not sure I'd go for the drop-in invite.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • While I definitely see how you're trying to make things more convenient for everyone with a drop in, I agree with putting the cake time on there. People may not go to a 1st birthday JUST for the smash cake and presents, but that is the highlight of it being a FIRST birthday party. Just including the drop in times and the cake/present time might serve both purposes.

If its important for them to see those things, they know what time to be there. If not, they can come whenever.

And FWIW, I don't consider New Year's Day a true holiday. It wouldn't even cross my mind if I had a party to go to on that day.

"I wanted you more than you'll ever know, so I sent love to follow wherever you go."

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Second Birthday tickers

image Follow Me on Pinterest

Ginny DX 21-Hydroxylase Deficiency Congenital Adrenal Hyperplasia

Charlie DX Specific Antibody Deficiency & ASD

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"