Working Moms
Options

Do you cook breakfast at work?

There are a number of people in my office that bring in bacon, sausage, egg beaters, tortillas, etc and make them in the microwave every morning.  And it STINKS.

Is it wrong to expect people to cook at home?

C ~ Spring 2006 Baby! Photobucket

Re: Do you cook breakfast at work?

• Options
    Wow, I have never seen anyone do this.  I have seen them bring in simple things like oatmeal and add hot water to it out of the coffee machine, but that is about it.  We do have an on site cafeteria though so that could make a difference.  Do you work for a small company?
    my read shelf:
    Jessica's book recommendations, liked quotes, book clubs, book trivia, book lists (read shelf)
  • Options

I have coworkers who make things in the toaster, or make oatmeal. 

I don't know what time people arrive at work for you, but that might make a difference.  I'll admit I want to eat breakfast at work most of the time, but I make it at home and bring it.  I drive 30+ minutes and am not hungry while still at home.  I arrive at work around 7am.

I cannot imagine smelling bacon every morning, though.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

wow! I do "cook" oatmeal at work, but really it's just adding hot water to my mug from the coffee machine, and it doesn't stink :)

I guess it's a little better than the person who reheats their salmon for lunch, or the popcorn burners?

photo image_zps90e45ea2.jpg
    AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers
  • Options
    imageCarlaAndJames:

I guess it's a little better than the person who reheats their salmon for lunch, or the popcorn burners?

I completely agree!  When people brought fish to reheat when I was pregnant, I thought I was going to barf in the middle of the lunchroom.  I still hate the smell of reheated fish.  Who does that!?!

• Options
    That is bizarre. The only "cooking" people do in my office is heating up pre-made breakfast sandwiches in the microwave.
  • Options
    Yeah, oatmeal, breakfast sandwich, I get that.  The bacon is putting me over the edge though.  And it isn't even a small office- 4 floors, big kitchen/market where you can buy food and then 3 smaller kitchenettes on each floor.
    C ~ Spring 2006 Baby! Photobucket
  • Options
    ENevENev member

My coworkers eat at work, but mostly toast, cereal, stuff like that. I personally think people should eat before they get to work!

I eat in the car on my way to work every day.

• Options
    I leave the house at 6, so if I ate before leaving, there is no way I could make it to lunch, I'd be starving!  But again, I don't heat up smelly food :)
    photo image_zps90e45ea2.jpg
  • Options

I guess it depends on how early you are expected to be into work.  I work in an office where if you are in past 8 you are late so most do cook breakfast, additionally most people end up working through lunch because of meetings etc.  I think for the most part it is just scrambled eggs or heating up premade food.  We are not allowed to have toasters.  I will eat a hardboiled egg at my desk with some raw spinach, but for the most part I eat in my car on the way to work.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I bring breakfast with me and eat it at work, but I rarely have to heat anything. And if I do, it's in my classroom and so the only ones who may have to smell it is my students if the smell hasn't dissipated by the time they arrive. I've never had any complaints, but I have a can of febreeze that I could bust out if I needed to. ;)
    Our sweet girl is 3!

Lilypie - (R7Ux)

• Options

I do not think you are wrong for expecting people to COOK breakfast at home.  If someone was heating up a something I see no problem with that.  I make oatmeal from time to time or bring cereal with me. 

Stinky microwave/kitchen area is the worst!

BabyFruit Ticker Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • Options

I eat breakfast at my desk every morning as do most of my coworkers (we all get in around 7am). But people are really considerate usually and microwave stinky stuff upstairs in the cafeteria.

2.5 yrs TTC #1 - DX = Stage IV Endo, Lap performed Jan 2010
    TTC #1 - May 2010 - IUI #3: BFP 
    TTC #2 - May 2012 -IUI #2: BFP
    TTC #3 - Jan 2013 -Surprise BFP!
    Daisypath Anniversary Years Ticker Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Daisypath Happy Birthday tickersDaisypath Happy Birthday tickers
  • Options
    imageashleyaugust7:

There are a number of people in my office that bring in bacon, sausage, egg beaters, tortillas, etc and make them in the microwave every morning.  And it STINKS.

Is it wrong to expect people to cook at home?

Heh, I make eggs, cheese and ham every single day at work.  Nope I don't think it's rude at all. I cook here because I don't have time at home. Sorry.

• Options
    On days that I'm at work early (7am) I bring a "second breakfast" because I'm just not hungry at 6am when I am home.  It is usually cereal, or a smoothie, but I have brought things to microwave.  I always clean up after myself, but I'm sure it might smell like a bacon egg and cheese biscuit every now and then.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie - (HKbp)Lilypie - (WKbt)
     Lilypie - (2DqE)  Lilypie - (1KYE)
    Lilypie - (RlhZ)Lilypie - (1CAm)
  • Options

imageWinesNot Whines:
    That is bizarre. The only "cooking" people do in my office is heating up pre-made breakfast sandwiches in the microwave.

<---Guilty Stick out tongue Jimmy Dean Turkey D-lite sandwitches are my morning addiction

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I totally understand a microwave breakfast sandwich, oatmeal, or toasting a bagel (all of which are done in my office fairly regularly), but tortillas and egg beaters??  That is crazy talk.
  • Options

Depending on my teaching schedule, I might be at work for hours (for grading, advising, office hours, etc.) before I teach, so I might do instant oatmeal, a frozen breakfast sandwich in the microwave, or a bagel in the toaster oven. 

It depends on your job, hours, too. I dated a videogame producer for a few years, and before games came out, they were at the office twenty hours a day. If you're living at your office, eat what you want.

MacAndCheese
    Mac and cheese lover!
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options

I don't really consider it *cooking* if you're sticking it in the microwave :-P 

If you work very early and get a morning break, I can totally understand people eating breakfast at work. 

Adrian 7.6.07 - ADHD, Disruptive Behavior Disorder, Learning Disability-NOS
    Cam 6.6.10 - Autism, Global Developmental Delay, Mixed Receptive/Expressive Communication Disorder
  • Options

I totally get it and i agrre that its annoying.. I leave for work at 4:15 am andIi eat at home before i arrive. Im so used to getting up at 3:30, my stomach actually growls by 4. Some of my coworkers dont arrive until 8, sandwich bagel and coffee in hand, then eat and its easily 15-20 min before they actually start working. I hate it. I think you should eat at home and arrive ready to work. I do it at 4 am. 

Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers

• Options
    I cook breakfast at work but it is usually yogurt and granola...so maybe not cooking! I'm a teacher and have to be at work at 7:30 and leave my house by 6:45 to get there on time. I have thyroid disease so I can't eat for an hour after taking meds, I'm not getting up earlier so I can eat before leaving. If I do cook, more then yogurt and granola, I have a kitchen in my classroom and cook it there. I will then bring enough for my students so they can cook what I made since they will want it. The school is used to my room smelling of food since I teach lifeskills and we constantly cook. I don't mind when people cook in our staff room since there are windows that can be opened and I know there are reasons why people can't eat at home before work.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"