Austin Babies

I hate being the broke ones

We're planning a night out next month with two other couples.  We're going to get a hotel room downtown in Austin, do dinner, bars.  My friend is coming home from a deployment so its to celebrate her return. 

They want to stay at the Driskell. 

::headdesk::

Just doing this at all is going to take a chuck out of our budget.  I was cringing at the Holiday Inn's rate.  There's no way we can afford the Driskell. 

This sucks.  I keep writing and rewriting the message back saying we can't do it.  Part of our plan was to get ready and pre-game in the hotel rooms so its not like the Driskell is going to let DH and I up if we're staying at the Holiday Inn down the road! Crap. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: I hate being the broke ones

• i have friends that always priceline downtown and get cheaper rooms at the raddison or omni. 

i'm sure if you were staying there you could get ready with friends if you wanted to, right?

i'm sorry :(  i've gotten pretty good at the 'sorry we can't afford that' party line.  it is never fun!

• Dude, they'd totally let you up into the rooms.  You are a guest of a paying guest!  Get a cheapo on a Priceline and go party with them.  The Driskell is 'spensive.  We couldn't afford that, either.  It doesn't mean you're broke, just that that particular hotel is too much.  Your friends will understand.
  • Loading the player...
  • Oh thank God - I sent a message saying we couldn't do it, and one of the guys already wrote backing No problem, its silly to pay so much for a night we probably won't even remember. 

::relief::

• Chances are they are all balking at the price. Yes, it's an evening to celebrate but it's not an evening to go broke. I've had to say no to a bunch of things lately and I've had other friends join me saying it's just too expensive and we find another solution.
  • The Driskill is way too pricey for most people. I wouldn't feel bad about saying you can't do it. It's not like we are in some sort of economic boom time here!
    Our Christmas Eve baby>Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers>
  • I agree.  I kind of went through the same thing when we were trying to plan a bachelorette party for a friend.  People can just get out of control and overspend when their excited.  My advice is to do what you did, stay within a budget that you feel comfortable and make it work.
    LilySlim Weight loss tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • use hotwire and choose downtown... you can snag a nice hotel at a cheaper price!
  • The Driskill gives very cheap, special rates to those in the service.  Like $90 / night, if I remember correctly.  That's probably why they want to stay there.  See if she can book the room for you and get their rate.  If not, I vote stay somewhere else and meet them there :-)
  • imagelilrunner:
    The Driskill gives very cheap, special rates to those in the service.  Like $90 / night, if I remember correctly.  That's probably why they want to stay there.  See if she can book the room for you and get their rate.  If not, I vote stay somewhere else and meet them there :-)

Really?  I had no idea, they might not know that either.  Thanks for the tip, we'll check it out!

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"