Breastfeeding
Options

When to pump if block feeding?

I have started block feeding my 6wk old yesterday due to oversupply.  I have already noticed a difference in him.  He isnt as fussy, sleeping better, less green poops, etc.  I have always fed on one side only, so now I am just offering only 1 side for 2 feedings then switching to the other for 2 feedings.  Now, I go back to work in 3 wks, so just wondering when I pump at work (will have to do this 3 times) should I pump one side only, like I feed at home?  Is there a time I can pump at home while block feeding that wont screw it up?  I read to pump minimally with oversupply as it can make it worse.  Do you haev to do block feeding forever??

Re: When to pump if block feeding?

• Options

You definitely don't have to do it forever! I block fed until my supply settled down, then went to one side per feeding, and finally started offering both sides (and she'll almost always take the second one) at around 3 months. By the time you're back to work, you should be fine pumping both sides, I think. Just make sure you pump long enough to get to the hindmilk (so, at least 2 letdowns). 

norathe girlsamelia
     Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"