1st Trimester

what's normal :/

1st post on this board. Bear with me...it's kinda long. 

Took a test (or 3!) on Sunday, all came positive. I figured on Friday I was, having missed my period by a whole week and having achey boobs. We weren't planning, but we are definitely excited for this new adventure. According to a calendar I found, I should be about 5 weeks along. My insurance for my new job kicks in on the 1st, so I am waiting to schedule an appointment until then. I didn't figure this would be a problem since most things I read said the doctor didn't see you until week 8.

We are waiting until after the doctors appointment and maybe a little more before we tell family and friends. This is our first, so we aren't sure what to expect, but we knew we did not want everyone to know in case something didn't workout. 

I picked up, what to expect when you're expecting, unfortunately I did not get all my answers in the first 20 pages like I was expecting, so I am still clueless. I keep google searching things and I get a yes and a no for the same question. ridiculous.

The only symptoms I have had so far are achey boobs, which seem to be growing every single day, and extreme exhaustion. I'm thirsty a lot (which isn't anything new) and I have not been eating as much, smaller meals fill me up(which is not something I was considering when I thought "pregnant"). So I've been snacking between meals when I get ravenous. Sound typical for anyone else?

I've been making myself eat a big breakfast because I was told this helps keep the morning sickness away, is this true?

I have had no nausea until this evening. I am not sure if this is because of my prenatal pills (took 1/2 dose last night) full tonight, and now I am feeling yucky. I think tomorrow I will take 1/2 dose again, see if the nausea stays away. Anyone else get sick from prenatal pills? I got a type from GNC, which is where I always get my vitamins, so I figured they would be good. What prenatal do you like best?

Also, up until 2 weeks ago I was working out, starting a program C25K, I was beginning my 3rd week, and now I can barely walk without breaking a sweat and having heavy breathing. a little depressing, since we dropped about 100 on proper shoes.  

So I say all this to say...is this normal! I am so anxious because I don't have anyone to ask for a few more weeks. I know normal is relative but does it sound healthy...on track...anything at all would help.  

Thanks in advance!  

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Re: what's normal :/

•  Congratulations and welcome to first tri! The April board is great as well! I am sure May is too if that is when your EDD ends up being ;0)

You are correct, many women with a first pregnancy and no history of loss of infertility treatments do not see a doctor until about 8 weeks. I did go in for bloodwork since we did have a loss last cycle, but with DS I only did the urine test at the doctor's office and then did not see my doctor again until 8 weeks. We got to hear the heartbeat at 12 weeks and our first ultrasound at 17 weeks for the anatomy scan and gender determination.

Symptoms are different for everyone, so don't worry about comparing to see if anything is wrong. Some people have no nausea, others are puking all day. Definitely keep eating smaller meals and snacks more frequently. That is what keeps me from going off the nausea cliff. My exhaustion is terrible with this pregnancy, probably due to running after my toddler all day, and my boobs are huge! They feel better when I am wearing a comfy bra. Invest in comfy bras!

As far as prenatal vitamins, I take mine right before bed. If I take them during the day, I get sick. Taking it at night means no worries. I use the Target Up and Up brand and love them. I did add in extra Vitamin D in the third tri since I was going to be breast feeding. Will do the same this time around.

Congrats on your workout routine! Keep it up, but listen to your body. You may need to slow down for a bit, but you'll get to feeling better soon. Your body is going through a lot of changes right now, so just slow it down when you get winded and work your way back into your routine.

Soundsto me like everything is on track for you! Enjoy your pregnancy!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • he only symptoms I have had so far are achey boobs, which seem to be growing every single day, and extreme exhaustion. I'm thirsty a lot (which isn't anything new) and I have not been eating as much, smaller meals fill me up(which is not something I was considering when I thought "pregnant"). So I've been snacking between meals when I get ravenous. Sound typical for anyone else?

Some people have no symptoms their whole pregnancy.  It's perfectly normal to not experience a lot of symptoms.  Exhaustion is very typical int he first trimester.  Just do your best to get as much sleep as you can.  Usually the second trimester brings your energy back.  Smaller, more frequent meals are a great way to help battle the nausea.  However, for some people there's nothing you can do to combat the morning sickness.  I would recommend to continue eating small meals several times throughout the day.  With my first, I had a lunchbag packed with snacks that I brought with me pretty much whenever I left the house because I could go from full to starving in about 2 seconds.  Also, keeping a full belly does help with the nausea.

I've been making myself eat a big breakfast because I was told this helps keep the morning sickness away, is this true?

It depends.  With my first, I couldn't eat a lot in the morning during the first tri, but I was starving by 10:00 and that's when I could eat a ton! 

I have had no nausea until this evening. I am not sure if this is because of my prenatal pills (took 1/2 dose last night) full tonight, and now I am feeling yucky. I think tomorrow I will take 1/2 dose again, see if the nausea stays away. Anyone else get sick from prenatal pills? I got a type from GNC, which is where I always get my vitamins, so I figured they would be good. What prenatal do you like best?

The nausea could be from your PNV or not.  You might want to try a prescription and see if that makes a difference.  Or this could just be when your body is experiencing the nausea.

Also, up until 2 weeks ago I was working out, starting a program C25K, I was beginning my 3rd week, and now I can barely walk without breaking a sweat and having heavy breathing. a little depressing, since we dropped about 100 on proper shoes.  

You can still exercise, even as much as you were pre-pregnancy, just pay attention to your body.  I know what you mean about getting winded, though!  I get out of breath just carrying my son upstairs!  Just know your limits and don't push yourself--remember this is not the time to worry about losing weight!

So I say all this to say...is this normal! I am so anxious because I don't have anyone to ask for a few more weeks. I know normal is relative but does it sound healthy...on track...anything at all would help. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"