Austin Babies

Handyman Recs & Question

When we purchased our house it didn't have electric garage door openers so we bought some.  They are still sitting in our garage. Angry  DH won't (can't) do it so we need to hire someone before I get too big to want to get out and mess with it each time I come home.

The one handyman that DH has spoken to quoted us $350.  To me, that seems outrageous.  I was thinking maybe $100 - 150 or so - but again I have no idea.  

#1 - Can you recommend a handyman who would come to Hutto?  

#2 - Any guesses on how much it might cost to have two garage door openers installed?  Thanks!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Handyman Recs & Question

• I can ask a couple people. Do they need to speak English? Also if someone told me $350, you bet my DH would get his butt out there and do it. We're lucky that my dad did ours.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • imageangelaggie:
    I can ask a couple people. Do they need to speak English? Also if someone told me $350, you bet my DH would get his butt out there and do it. We're lucky that my dad did ours.

Thanks! 

I don't care if they speak English as long as we can communicate enough to determine price, the job, etc.  I don't see DH caring about that either.  

I figured that DH would eventually do it but he's the least handy person I know.  It's very frustrating.

• Loading the player...
  • We used Action Door Repair to fix ours and they did a great job. All they do is garage door stuff. They took the time to educate us about it for future issues. 

p.s. you're not saying that you guys already have an automatic door and just need to program the remotes, are you? Because if so, that is super easy and takes five minutes.  

Business Cat. image
  • Do you need someone to install the openers or just program the remotes?  Do you know if it's a belt or chain system?

My brother installed his and I'm sure he won't charge very much to install yours if you want me to ask him.

• We need the actual machines put into the garage, attached to the doors, etc.  I'm not sure the type of system.  I looked at it and it has a coiled spring type thing on it if that makes a difference.  I'll call Action Door Repair to get a quote.  Right now, $ is tight so I'm trying to compare costs.  The more options the better!

ShernRich - If you don't mind asking your brother if he'd be interested, that would be great.   It's two separate doors and we've already purchased the openers from Lowe's.  Also, we live in Hutto so I don't know if that would matter. Thank you!

• imageJess.O:

If you don't mind asking your brother if he'd be interested, that would be great.   It's two separate doors and we've already purchased the openers from Lowe's.  

We bought my mom one from Lowe's a couple years ago and they gave us the name and number of a contractor they use for installs.. I think they even helped us set up the appointment and I KNOW it wasn't $300 because DH would have scoffed at that price. Did you ask Lowe's about install? 

• imageMrsBeckO:
    imageJess.O:

If you don't mind asking your brother if he'd be interested, that would be great.   It's two separate doors and we've already purchased the openers from Lowe's.  

We bought my mom one from Lowe's a couple years ago and they gave us the name and number of a contractor they use for installs.. I think they even helped us set up the appointment and I KNOW it wasn't $300 because DH would have scoffed at that price. Did you ask Lowe's about install? 

At the time, DH was convinced that he could do it.  "It's so easy, anyone can do it.  Blah, blah, blah."  I didn't think about going back and asking them for recs since we've had it so long but that's a great idea. 

• I would call Advanced Garage Door.  258-7878  They have an office in Pflugerville and in Georgetown and I bet they'd go to Hutto.  They are SUPER nice and very reasonably priced.  The last time he came by he charged me nothing.  
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"