Eco-Friendly Family
Options

Sewing mamas - another machine question

Would this be a good choice for a starter sewing machine? Or should I just look for a more basic manual model until I get the hang of it?

https://seattle.craigslist.org/sno/hsh/2574027529.html

It's a Brother XR7700 computerized for $50.

Re: Sewing mamas - another machine question

• Options

I'd definitely check it out.  Just because it has a bunch of features doesn't mean that you need to use them all right away, KWIM?

Look online and see if you can find a manual for it.  If it seems pretty straightforward to get to basic functions (straight stitch, zig zag stitch, back stitch, etc) then I'd go for it!  Brother is a good brand. 

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options

Yes and no. Beware of cheap machines, you'll have cheap machine issues eventually. It is generally best to buy from a dealer, and you can find some really nice, inexpensive machines and have the backing of a dealer to help with any questions and issues.

However, that being said, if you plan on sewing just a few things here and there, this would probably be fine for you. I really liked my $130 Brother for about a year, until I got way more into it and then I started having needle timing issues and such that needed to be fixed every three stinkin' months. I ended up finally being able to upgrade after 2.5 years, and I think if I had just spent more in the beginning, I wouldn't have had to upgrade so soon. 

But, if you don't know how much you'll like it, this would probably be a good machine for you to see, and just start saving for an upgrade if you get really into it. :) HTH and I don't mean to sound condescending, I just wanted to throw my experiences in there.

Follow Me on Pinterest
    Lily loves her new little sister!
    Lily Sue 8.17.2009
    Forever loved and missed...Dot 6.14.10, Little Bit 8.20.10, Speck 3.16.11
    Adair Leigh 3.27.12
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    As a novice I think it is good. Hardly used and pretty inexpensive. I would upgrade later if needed but you may not even like sewing. GL
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"