December 2010 Moms

Solids and swallowing

I have been giving Kiya more solids and she is loving it but a lot of the times she keeps the food in her mouth and doesn't swallow it I call her my little chipmunk she seems to keep the food in her cheeks or under her bottom lip. I give her water to help get it down but it doesn't always help. anyone else have a chipmunk? What do you do? I'm afraid to keep giving her food, I don't want her to choke.
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Solids and swallowing

• I say keep doing what your doing with the water.  Thats what we do. Eventually it gets down.  He hasn't choked yet.  They figure it out eventually.  Sometimes if he's having a particularly food stashing day, I'll switch and give the softer foods (squash/sweet potato chunks) instead of harder ones (toast or chicken) because they'll eventually dissolve. 
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Ari chipmunk's his food too.  I just make sure everything is chopped finely (no bigger than the size of an asprin)  I also watch and make sure he swallows what he has before giving him more.  I think the chewing practice is good for him and try not to wash down pieces with liquids.  
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • i noticed griff does this too.  i just give him water.  maybe our LOs *are* saving it for later lol
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"