Babies: 9 - 12 Months

Dropping food from the high chair

Ok I am sure this is just a phase but how are you dealing with your LO if s/he likes to drop her food onto the floor? I am trying to give LO more finger foods but she is going through a phase where she picks a little up, slowly moves her hand to the side of the high chair, and drops the food. She is stinking adorable when she does it but I still say NO! And move her arm back before she drops it, if I get there in time. She is not getting it. So I am feeding her with a spoon for the time being. Any suggestions?

ETA: I don't care that she is dropping her food on the floor. I am actually asking how to get her to EAT it. Cause she just sits there and drops it. Should I just spoon feed till she is over this phase?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Dropping food from the high chair

• I just let them drop it.  Kids drop food on the floor.  It's a phase. 

imageimage 

Unable to even.  

You don't understand the appeal of Benedict Cumberbatch / think he's fug / don't know who he is? WATCH SHERLOCK.  Until you do, your negative opinion of him will not be taken seriously.

• Meh, Lily doesn't realize what she is doing (half of her food lands in her lap to begin with), and the dogs love the extra treats. They have little mats you can put on the floor for easier clean up. I think that telling her "no" during mealtime at this age would just confuse her.
    imageBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFruit Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • She will drop it all, or most of it, though. I would like her to eat some of it! I don't mind that she drops some food, no biggie. I just bought a splat mat. But I want her to eat.

She will take it with a spoon and she likes to feed herself. At first I thought she just didn't like the food that she dropped but she is also dropping her beloved cheerios.

• imageheckysue:

Ignore it, but if she does it for more than a piece or two meal time is over and she gets out of the high chair.  If they get a reaction they just keep doing it over and over.  And it's not like the dog dish or blinds where you can redirect them or take them to another room. 

ETA:  I don't mean meal time is over as like a punishment though.  Just that if C is playing with his food I figure he's not that hungry and just wants to play.

She does it with a ton of her food. She does it whether I watch or not. She isn't doing it for attention. I actually have only told her no this last time, because I baked that sweet potato for an hour and really wanted her to actually eat it!

• Z is doing the same thing.  He used to also slowly move his hand to the side and open it up.  Now he flings it.  This morning his scrambled eggs were bouncing off the dishwasher.

He usually does it when he is finished eating.  When he starts throwing food I end the meal.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker My birthson who came before I was ready. He doesn't call me mom but I love him just the same. ~7/10/99~
  • We are still going through this phase.  Usually I ignore it at first but if she continues to do I attempt to feed her some of what's left on her tray.  Sometimes she eats from me and starts picking it up herself again but if she refuses it, I take that as she's done.

I used to stress about her not eating enough and I was fearful of her waking up at night to eat.  What I do now is while she is feeding herself, I squeeze a pouch of plum baby or earths best veggies/fruit into her mouth.  She loves the pouches and it's a definite way to make sure she eats SOMETHING if she's being picky and refuses to eat.

good luck!  

Jess and James 10.18.08
    Zoey Emma 08.18.10
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • imageTheBuddha:

Z is doing the same thing.  He used to also slowly move his hand to the side and open it up.  Now he flings it.  This morning his scrambled eggs were bouncing off the dishwasher.

He usually does it when he is finished eating.  When he starts throwing food I end the meal.

This.  As soon as the sippy cup is flung, I know mealtime is almost over.  He'll eat a few more bites and then start dropping food on the floor.  I try to ignore it and start cleaning up from the meal.

• imageflip_flops:
    imageTheBuddha:

Z is doing the same thing.  He used to also slowly move his hand to the side and open it up.  Now he flings it.  This morning his scrambled eggs were bouncing off the dishwasher.

This.  As soon as the sippy cup is flung, I know mealtime is almost over.  He'll eat a few more bites and then start dropping food on the floor.  I try to ignore it and start cleaning up from the meal.

That makes sense but she does it at the beginning. She will gobble up food from a spoon though. But she just has too much fun throwing her food off the table to eat it herself. Unless they are cheerios. She doesn't toss many of those off her high chair!

• imagecndmexbaby:
    imageflip_flops:
    imageTheBuddha:

That makes sense but she does it at the beginning. She will gobble up food from a spoon though. But she just has too much fun throwing her food off the table to eat it herself. Unless they are cheerios. She doesn't toss many of those off her high chair!

Hopefully just a fun phase and it will stop being fun eventually.  What if you just put one or two pieces of food on her tray?  Or mix other food in with cheerios?  She's probably too smart for that though and will just pick out the cheerios and fling the other food (that's what DS would do because he likes to remind us that we are not smarter than he is).

• bgf1bgf1 member
    How much food do you put on the tray at once?  I swear that the minute I put more than 3 pieces of food down the temptation to play whack the tray to make the food jump overwhelms Cole.  This is quickly followed by the drop it over the edge of the chair game.  If I limit the amount of food on the tray mealtime goes much better.
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • imagebgf1:
    How much food do you put on the tray at once?  I swear that the minute I put more than 3 pieces of food down the temptation to play whack the tray to make the food jump overwhelms Cole.  This is quickly followed by the drop it over the edge of the chair game.  If I limit the amount of food on the tray mealtime goes much better.

I have tried one piece and several. It is just her thing right now. Hopefully she gets over it soon!

• imageflip_flops:
    imagecndmexbaby:
    imageflip_flops:
    imageTheBuddha:

Hopefully just a fun phase and it will stop being fun eventually.  What if you just put one or two pieces of food on her tray?  Or mix other food in with cheerios?  She's probably too smart for that though and will just pick out the cheerios and fling the other food (that's what DS would do because he likes to remind us that we are not smarter than he is).

LOL, so true!

• My child feels the need to throw his food and sippy constantly. He will take a drink from his cup and instead of sitting the cup on the tray, he drops it out of his hand over the edge. He does that with the food that he isn't interested in eating as well. I just let him do his thing.

But when he starts sliding his hand back and forth across his tray to purposely get food to go everywhere, then meal time is over.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"