October 2011 Moms

Failed 1 hour glucose test and 3 day donut diet :-s

Just got the call from my docs office saying I failed the 1 hour glucose test. Now I get to take the fun 3 hour test. She also said I will need to go on a "donut diet" for 3 days before the test. I will need to eat a donut, piece of pie, or something sweet with every meal and before bed for the 3 days before the test to prepare my pancreas for the test. Tongue Tied To some, this may sound awesome but I am not a big fan of sweets so this is going to make me sick.

This also does not make much since to put someone on a diet of that much sugar intake if their body is having problems handling their current sugar intake. To me, it's like telling someone with high cholesterol to eat a big mac with every meal. That's just my thoughts.

She also said that it does not necessarily mean I have gestational diabetes so I am wondering if I do. How many have failed the 1 hour test and passed the 3 hour test? How many have failed the 1 hour and 3 hour test? Now I am all worried about it. ugh!
Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Failed 1 hour glucose test and 3 day donut diet :-s

• I failed the one hour and the three hour - and I did not get to eat sweets with every meal...
  • I failed the 1 hour but passed the 3 hour. Its actually really common. GL
  • Loading the player...
  • Ive never heard of the donut diet, but I only did the 1 hour test.

I think the point is that it be something with a high sugar content not nessicarily a pie or donut-- is there a kids cereal that you like (fruity pebbles, frosted flakes, ect?) -- even juice tends to have a high sugar content if you like juice that might be a good option or caffeine free rootbeer/orange soda/ basically any non-diet caffeine free soda?

Also most BBQ sauces have high sugar content so you could have BBQs for one of your meals with some cornbread and I'm sure that'd be more than enough sugar.

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I failed the 1 hr, but passed the 3 hr. I was a nervous wreck about it. I didn't have to eat any additional sweets or anything before the 3 hr test.. just fast for 12 hours. Good luck!
  • I also failed the one hour but passed the 3 hour.

I had to eat a high carb diet comprising of at least 300 grams of carbs per day for 3 days before the 3 hour. "Permission" to eat that many carbs sounded great in theory but was disgusting in practice. I was so sick of eating that way after just the first day!

Best of luck!

• I failed both the 1 hr and 3 hr tests, but did not get to do the sweets diet. I failed the 3 hr by 2 points, and have been easily managing my sugars, but I wonder if I would have passed had I gorged on sweets before the test. That would have been a great since now all I can think about is sweets. All I want is ice cream and cake and cinnamon rolls. I feel like i was jipped---I was being so good and only eating healthy the entire first part of my pregnancy, knowing I would splurge a little towards the end once I knew I hadn't gained too much weight...no such luck. At least GD allows me to have extra ultrasounds, the only silver lining.
  • I failed the first glucose test, but past the second (3-hr) with flying colors.

I admit, I've never heard of the doughnut diet? That sounds kind of off to me. Why does she want to do that?
  • I failed the one hour and passed the three hour. I wish I had had the donut option, though.
  • I failed the 1 hour pretty badly; but I did great on the 3 hour!
  • I failed both. My office required eating 3 candy bars or 6 slices of bread a day 2 days before the test.  I didn't do it exactly, just ate a little extra sugar/carbs when I thought about it.
  • I failed both, but did not have the donut diet suggestion...  Perhaps my pancreas needed additional preparation for the 3 hour test since my blood glucose is controlled just fine with diet.  Interesting...
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"