Working Moms

Tips for applying for flexible schedule

I work for a large, national organization. They recently sent out an email to all employees with information about the flexible work arrangement policy. Many employees in our organization work from home, and I am thinking about applying to telecommute a couple days a week. I would still send my kids to daycare every day (it's one minute from my house) so they can keep their routine, play with the other kids, and so I can get something done. I think about how amazing it would be to work from home a couple days per week, being able to run a load of laundry as I work and have the house to myself. I am already set up to work anywhere through VPN. I would like to apply for it but would love any tips for getting my boss to go for it.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Tips for applying for flexible schedule

• That is what I do.  I work a 4x10hr week, off Fridays and work from home Tuesday and Thursday.  I sat with my boss and explained to him that my relationship with my son was struggling and he couldn't argue with that one ;)  I have a 50 mile commute each way, so that added to it.  I also explained that I get more done from home, cutting out the commute and being able to be online all day and even later at night when my son went to bed.  They did verify that I was still sending my son to daycare while I work, so it will be important to note that too.  Working from home is the best thing ever.  No lie, I do get more done, and like you said I can throw a load of laundry in and straighten up the house while on conference calls.  Can't beat it!  Good luck.
  • I'm a lurker but thought I'd add my two cents as well since this is what I do. I work Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays in the office and Tuesdays and Thursdays from home. This was the arrangement once I returned from maternity leave (when DS was 3 mos old), though at that time DS was home with me on those days. It got to be too much now that #2 is on the way and DS is way more active, so when he was 13 months, he started daycare full-time. I absolutely love working from home on Tuesdays and Thursdays since all my work can be done from home. There's no real reason for me to be in the office. I save on gas, I can do some laundry while I work, and I end up getting more done. We have a form we have to fill out with what our home office environment is like and what we expect to accomplish in the next few months, and that was reviewed by my supervisor and approved though we check in about how it's going quarterly.

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"