Nurseries and Baby Gear

Arm's Reach Co-Sleeper vs Pack n' Play

I am WAY over thinking this- FTM here and I need help deciding. Which would you rather have as a bassinet in your room? I currently have both but can't decide which to keep for our bedroom for the first few months. I have a basic pack n' play with changer for downstairs already...and a crib in his nursery...so either of these would be used for a max of 6 months until we transition him to his room.

Arm's Reach co-sleeper

https://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2401894 

PROS

1) its the mini size so it takes up less room 

2) I have the possibility of having a C-section because my baby is still breech at 35 weeks, so a co-sleeper would be nice during recovery

3) the bassinet is good up to 23 pounds vs 15 pounds on the pack n play

4) it folds up really small and it's light for traveling 

CONS

1) it has no use once the baby is sleeping in his room - it doesn't convert into a playard

2) I will have to change his diaper in there (or on the bed) 

3) no vibration or musical features

4) I will need to purchase a bouncer or rock n play for going room to room 

Pack n' Play with cuddle cove rocking seat:

https://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jspproductId=4389470&prodFindSrc=search 

PROS

1) the cuddle cove feature is removable as a vibrating chair/bouncer (which i do not have) and can be carried easily from room to room

2) I have a place to change diapers in the middle of the night because it has a changing table

3) the cuddle cove seems very comfortable and has a slight incline in case he has reflux and is not comfortable flat on his back, but this pack n' play also has a bassinet for sleeping flat

4) I can use it longer as a playard when he gets older 

5) it has vibration, music, and a nightlight 

CONS

1) It takes up a lot more space 

2) not great for traveling- its bulky 

3) I have a pack n' play that is more basic for downstairs already, so do i really need 2? 

4) if I do have a CS it won't be as convenient  because I will have to get out of bed when he wakes up

See? Its a tough choice! Any opinions or experience is greatly appreciated! Thanks for your help! 

Re: Arm's Reach Co-Sleeper vs Pack n' Play

• If you wanted too you could exchange the Co-sleeper for the Mini Convertible, that one converts into a pack n play so its like an all in one! I have the Mini Co-sleeper and a ack n play but I personally do not feel comfortable with the baby sleeping in the pack n play, temporarily like for naps its fine but I don't want him sleeping in there every night. If you already have 2 pack n play I would just return one (or both if you went with the Mini Convertible)..I want to keep it simple I don't want a million and one baby things taking up all the room you know?
    ega Pictures, Images and Photos support our troops Pictures, Images and Photosega Pictures, Images and Photos Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Sorry for the typo's I'm half asleep =]
    ega Pictures, Images and Photos support our troops Pictures, Images and Photosega Pictures, Images and Photos Lilypie Second Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • When I had my baby I had a Kolcraft Bassinet with mobile, vibration, music, nature sounds, this was super helpful she would always fall asleep to the sound of frogs LOL!  She used it for 3 months after that she was in her own room and crib. I also had her room changing table in our room until she was moved into her own crib. For my downstairs I had a pretty standard Pack & Play with attachable changing table and lay flat bassinet. It had no vibration or music but that was easily fixed with a baby lamb music light up toy that attached to Pack & Play. She also had her Little Lamb swing downstairs which SHE LOVED!!!

In regards to not getting out of bed at night, good luck. If they are crying at night you will have to get up to change diaper, feed and of course rock them back to sleep. The arms reach is a nice for when you want to cover them, give them their pacifier, stare at the baby :) but I hate to break it to you someone will have to get out of bed to attend to the baby. The 1st couple of months are rough, a lot of sleepless nights. 

Anyway, you don't need 2 pack & plays so I would return one of them and keep the one that's more convenient, longevity and good for travel.

• We have the mini co-sleeper, and it was worth it.  I got it with baby #2 as I found with #1 having the PNP near the bed still meant getting out of bed. I found I often did not get back up to put her back in as I would fall asleep, and we ended up bed sharing more than I wanted to.  With #2 I gave the co-sleeper a try, and I found not having to get out of bed made all the difference for me, and he ended up back in the co-sleeper. With the co-sleeper I didn't have to get out of bed, as I could nurse, change him on a changing pad in bed, and he'd fall asleep while he finished nursing.  I didn't need to rock him to get back to sleep during the time frame we used the co-sleeper. I also liked with the co-sleeper I could often lay my hand on his belly to settle him, as he liked the contact and slept better with it.  We felt the co-sleeper was a good investment, especially since we will use it again with #3.  In a few months when we are done with it (this is our last baby), I will sell it and get some of the money back.

We also have a PNP that we use downstairs in our living room.  It is nice to have a safe place to leave the baby (especially with the older kids around) while you run to the bathroom, etc.  We also let the baby take some naps in it.  Last, it has the changing table which we use.  So the PNP downstairs just got used in a different manner, and I appreciated having both.  

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickersLilypie Third Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • imagejulygal:

We have the mini co-sleeper, and it was worth it.  I got it with baby #2 as I found with #1 having the PNP near the bed still meant getting out of bed. I found I often did not get back up to put her back in as I would fall asleep, and we ended up bed sharing more than I wanted to.  With #2 I gave the co-sleeper a try, and I found not having to get out of bed made all the difference for me, and he ended up back in the co-sleeper. With the co-sleeper I didn't have to get out of bed, as I could nurse, change him on a changing pad in bed, and he'd fall asleep while he finished nursing.  I didn't need to rock him to get back to sleep during the time frame we used the co-sleeper. I also liked with the co-sleeper I could often lay my hand on his belly to settle him, as he liked the contact and slept better with it.  We felt the co-sleeper was a good investment, especially since we will use it again with #3.  In a few months when we are done with it (this is our last baby), I will sell it and get some of the money back.

We also have a PNP that we use downstairs in our living room.  It is nice to have a safe place to leave the baby (especially with the older kids around) while you run to the bathroom, etc.  We also let the baby take some naps in it.  Last, it has the changing table which we use.  So the PNP downstairs just got used in a different manner, and I appreciated having both.  

Thank you so much for this reply. It was very helpful to hear your experience. I think I will keep the co-sleeper and the pack and play for downstairs. Thanks again! 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"