Food Allergy
Options

Soy Challenge tomorrow - ETA F/U

DD goes in for her soy challenge tomorrow.  The last one was canceled due to wheezing.  Of coarse, I have heard her cough a few times since she fell asleep.  I hope we can do it tomorrow and not have to reschedule again.  She is so excited to possibly get to eat Chinese food and salad with the same dressing DH and I use.  I'm trying to not get her hopes up too high, but motivate her to drink the soy milk.  I promised her I would find a way to make Chinese without soy if she doesn't pass. 

Wish us luck!

Re: Soy Challenge tomorrow - ETA F/U

• Options
    Good luck!!!!!!
  • Options
    Good luck! We use coconut aminos instead of soy sauce.
    Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Just curious...did they do the skin test one day and then schedule the oral challenge for another?
  • Options

She had a blood test at 9 months and one at 2 years. The levels were low enough to schedule the challenge.  We waited a year fo the first test and about 4 months for the re schedule.  they take foreve to get into. it's a year anda half to get into a peanut challenge.

sorry for typos bumping from my phone 

• Options
    Good luck!
  • Options
    good luck!
  • Options
    How did it go?
  • Options

She didn't pass :(  She made it through 8 of the 11 doses before she broke out in hives.  She did a great job and I was so proud of her.  They will re-blood test in 2 months at her next appointment.  If her numbers are down from the last blood test (about a year and a half ago) they will put her back on the list for another challenge.  It took a year to get into the first test so the earliest she would re-test would be about 14 months. 

It was such a long day. It's amazing how much tension built up in me.  I was in bed by 8:00 last night.

• Options
    I"m so sorry it didn't go well.  Since she had 8 doses- will they allow you to introduce trace amounts or do you still do total avoidance?  That seems like such a long time to wait for another challenge.  :(
  • Options
    We will still do total avoidance.  They said just because she got far in this one doesn't mean her reaction won't be more severe next time. 
  • Options
    Sorry it didn't go well :( Can you explain the challenge process? It's time for ds to go back for a skin test and if passes that I assume we will move on to a challenge. How long were you there? I know when we went for penicillin allergy testing we were there for like 3 hours and I had to hold him still most of the time and not let him tocuh the injection sites. It was miserable! I assume with an oral challenge she could move freely? What do they give her as a challenge item? And they give more if they aren't able to provoke a reaction?
  • Options

We have challenged peanuts and soy.  You are there anywhere from 3-8 hours.  I brought food for them to mix the test in.  Each test was 11 doses.  They start out with a small amount mixed into a food you bring.  I brought yogurt applesauce and ice cream.  They wait 15 minutes and check her skin, breathing and heart rate.  If everything is okay they give the next dose and repeat every 15 minutes.  Each dose get more concentration of the allergen.  With the soy challenge she did about 4 doses of soy milk before she wanted something else.  I brought chocolate syrup to mix in and that seemed to make it more appealing to her. 

She is able to play freely between doses.  We walked the halls, watched some DVDs and I brought an entire carry-on full of toys, puzzles, coloring books.  Another kid doing a challenge brought a Hot Wheels ramp and they raced them down a empty hall which occupied a lot of her time.  

If they have a reaction or finish the challenge they have to wait 2 hours to make sure they don't have any reaction, or that the Benadryl works if they had a reaction.  I brought her blanket and lovey and she fell asleep within a half hour.  After 2 hours they did a final exam of her skin, lungs and heart rate.  She was fine and we were released.

It's a different type of miserable than the skin testing.  They aren't in pain, but you have a lot of tension.  Be sure to bring something for yourself to read or do.

• Options
    imagecotner:

We have challenged peanuts and soy.  You are there anywhere from 3-8 hours.  I brought food for them to mix the test in.  Each test was 11 doses.  They start out with a small amount mixed into a food you bring.  I brought yogurt applesauce and ice cream.  They wait 15 minutes and check her skin, breathing and heart rate.  If everything is okay they give the next dose and repeat every 15 minutes.  Each dose get more concentration of the allergen.  With the soy challenge she did about 4 doses of soy milk before she wanted something else.  I brought chocolate syrup to mix in and that seemed to make it more appealing to her. 

She is able to play freely between doses.  We walked the halls, watched some DVDs and I brought an entire carry-on full of toys, puzzles, coloring books.  Another kid doing a challenge brought a Hot Wheels ramp and they raced them down a empty hall which occupied a lot of her time.  

If they have a reaction or finish the challenge they have to wait 2 hours to make sure they don't have any reaction, or that the Benadryl works if they had a reaction.  I brought her blanket and lovey and she fell asleep within a half hour.  After 2 hours they did a final exam of her skin, lungs and heart rate.  She was fine and we were released.

It's a different type of miserable than the skin testing.  They aren't in pain, but you have a lot of tension.  Be sure to bring something for yourself to read or do.

Wow. That sounds exhausting and nerve-wrecking! I so don't look forward to that at all.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"