Toddlers: 12 - 24 Months
Options

16 month old, only babbles. Anyone else?

Harrison has said a handful of words, but only when repeating us and never more than once. He used to say, "mamma, dadda and uh oh" all the time, but that is long gone. He babbles non stop and I believe he "thinks" he is talking, but he really isn't.

He does a lot of "uh, uh, uh" when he wants something and even if I repeatedly say what it is before giving it to him, he is so strong willed and refuses to say it and just gets aggitated with me.

image Preston 10/13/06 - Harrison 04/14/10

Re: 16 month old, only babbles. Anyone else?

• Options
    my daughter will be 16 months next week, and is the same way. I'm not too concerned yet--I konw there's a language explosion at 18 months, so I feel like I still have time. Plus, I feel like she makes up for her lack of language in others ways that shows me she's learning everyday,if that makes sense.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic
  • Options
    Yeah that's exactly us too! Sometimes it sound like he's really trying though. He'll randomly say something that sounds really close to english and we try and encourage it but he doesn't usually say it again :(
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
  • Loading the player...
  • Options

DS is almost 15 months, and doesn't have any words that he uses consistently...  He MAY know "Mom" and "Da" but I'm not positive he understands what he's saying... I think so lately.  Other than that, an occasional "uh-oh," and that's it.

He understands me when I ask if he's hungry or thirsty.  He uses the sign for please when he wants something, and usually can show me one way or another what it is.  But he gets very frustrated when I don't know what he wants and I typically can't even get him to repeat something I say over and over...  He was evaluated by EI, and they said he's fine but that' they'll recheck at 18 months. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Sounds like my daughter who will be 20 months next week. She did not have a word explosion at 18 months and will be starting speech therapy.
    BFP #1 4/6/09; EDD 12/6/09; miscarriage 4/10/09..............BFP #2 5/3/09; DD born 1/9/10........BFP #3 12/15/12, EDD 8/31/13; baby stopped growing at 5w3d; natural miscarriage..........BFP #4 2/8/13, EDD 10/20/13; missed miscarriage discovered 9w2d; d/c.......BFP #5 10/22/13, EDD 7/8/13; miscarriage 10/28/13..... BFP #6 11/19/13; DS born 7/29/14 {\rtf1\ansi\ansicpg1252 {\fonttbl\f0\fswiss\fcharset0 Helvetica;} {\colortbl;\red255\green255\blue255;\red51\green51\blue51;\red255\green255\blue255;} \deftab720 \pard\pardeftab720\sl280\partightenfactor0 \f0\fs22 \cf2 \cb3 \expnd0\expndtw0\kerning0 \outl0\strokewidth0 \strokec2 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker} {\rtf1\ansi\ansicpg1252 {\fonttbl\f0\fswiss\fcharset0 Helvetica;} {\colortbl;\red255\green255\blue255;\red51\green51\blue51;\red255\green255\blue255;} \deftab720 \pard\pardeftab720\sl280\partightenfactor0 \f0\fs22 \cf2 \cb3 \expnd0\expndtw0\kerning0 \outl0\strokewidth0 \strokec2 Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker}
  • Options

imagejamdv3:
    my daughter will be 16 months next week, and is the same way. I'm not too concerned yet--I konw there's a language explosion at 18 months, so I feel like I still have time. Plus, I feel like she makes up for her lack of language in others ways that shows me she's learning everyday,if that makes sense.

Makes TOTAL sense. He is such a fast learner. Example: he has been pushing a matchbox car and making a car noise since he could crawl. He learned to climb up the slide stairs and slide down by himself after just a couple times showing him. It's amazing what he picks up on and so fast too. I told his 5 year old brother (who refuses to learn how to ride a two wheel bike), that Harrison will be riding a bike before he is...lol.

image Preston 10/13/06 - Harrison 04/14/10
  • Options
    my son is 17 months old today. his only "word" is moya (as in, i want more dammit!). he says it when he wants more food. he doesn't say mama to me or dada to daddy, unless he is babbling. he just startyed saying "uh oh" the other day. i'm not worried. he is on time or ahead even, with everything else. your baby is fine too, don't worry!
  • Options

My 20 month old still only says about 5 real words regularly. Mama, Dada, duck, dog and bubbles. But he uses them in context! Haha.

I wouldn't worry about it.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • Options
    This sounds exactly like my DD. She is also more of a "mover" - she was walking at 10 mo, and is now climbing & running everywhere. Language, not so much. We just had her 15 mo pedi appt. on Friday, and she said that she wasn't worried at all, and that it's pretty common for kids who are early walkers to be later talkers. So, I'm trying to remember that if the dr.'s not worried, I shouldn't be worried. (It's hard sometimes, though!)
    Lilypie Third Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Options

I'm in this boat too, though DS is just a little bit younger. He does say mama and dada, and he says "bah" for animals (any animal, dog, bird, it doesn't matter). Otherwise he primarily babbles or does the "uh uh uh" when he wants something.

But, he understands a lot of what we say to him. And he was early on pretty much every physical milestone... so I just keep telling myself he'll get there when he's ready. I'll see what the Dr. says at his 15month appt... but I'm trying to not worry too much yet.

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Daisypath Anniversary tickers
  • Options
    We have a 14 mo old who only  babbles. He just mastered the walking skill a couple of weeks ago. I think now he is starting to focus on language now. He tries to imitate the sounds Mommy and Daddy make when we tell him what this or that is.
    Image and video hosting by TinyPic Lilypie Third Birthday tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"