Attachment Parenting

bfing toddler - how much additional fatty foods?

I am confused about how much additional fatty foods to give my lo on a daily basis.  He is a champion eater and adores pretty much everything we have offered him. 

He loves cheese, yogurt, almond butter, peanut butter, guacamole, etc.  He is nursing very often and I was wondering how much high fat food I should be offering him on top of breastmilk.  I give him whole cow's milk yogurt as I know high fat foods are important, but curious how to balance these foods with bm.

Re: bfing toddler - how much additional fatty foods?

• Do they need additional fatty foods?  I thought that the recommendation for whole cow's milk was so that the child has a source of nutrients such as calcium and vitamin D and that the fat in the milk was a bonus--preferable to skim milk, which doesn't have fat.  I didn't think that feeding WCM was about just the fat

I'd assume that the concern about additional fat is even less of an issue for a nursing toddler.  Your milk is whole milk (not skim).  It's also a better source of nutrients than cow's milk.

My guess is that you just offer your toddler a balanced diet.  I don't know that there's a recommendation to include fat unless your pedi has expressed a concern about your child being underweight or not gaining quickly enough.

I'd love to hear what others say.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml
  • We have very similar feeding styles.  I just offer my DD her favorite foods and a balanced diet and I don't analyze the fat content because she's still nursing.  As long as she's getting good reports from the well-baby checkups, I don't worry about it.  

Now my 4 yo DS is another story....he's not an eater like my DD and never has been.  He does, however, LOVE his milk. He would survive on cow's milk alone if I let him.  For him, I try to push certain foods but but he's grown just fine :) 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"