Food Allergy

1st appointment questions

Next week Carson will be having a scratch test. YAY! I know it's going to be painful for him but I'm just ready to have his allergies brought to light. KWIM? The nurse said to allow 2 hours for the appointment. I'm not bringing anyone with me. DH is keeping LO2 at home. I don't think I could manage to keep the two of them entertained that long. I want to be able to really focus on Carson's needs. Any tips would be so appercaited.

I think this should be on a FAQ page for us ;)

Re: 1st appointment questions

• Try to bring something with you that you know will distract him and keep him busy for at least 15/20 minutes after the test is done because he'll get itchy and want to scratch. My daughter cried and screamed while they did the test but was ok once they were done. Then we just walked around with her pointing out stuff to keep her mind off of it. 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I don't have experience with bringing a child (DS is only 3mo) but I had to have one when I was 5, so pretty young. If it is any consolation, it feels just like the end of a drinking straw is poking your back (I know, such a weird correlation but it's what I thought of when I was 5), and I kept telling myself that it was only a straw when it was happening.  Maybe if you just prepare him and tell him what it will feel like, then he won't freak out. I think kids get more scared of it hurting than it actually hurting.
  • Loading the player...
  • how old is he?

Do you have an ipad or some sort of portable dvd player? depending on his age, take him shopping before and let him pick a movie/cartoon so he can watch there. Or if he's a toddler, just bring his favorite cartoon.  Crayons/paper.  new toy.

I don't think there is much pain in the skin test, just discomfort.  So make sure you keep him away from scratching.  

• imagemagdusia:

how old is he?

Carson is 18 months. I'm thinking just a new toy, shape sorter and some crayons with paper

• imagemdearrington:
    imagemagdusia:

how old is he?

Carson is 18 months. I'm thinking just a new toy, shape sorter and some crayons with paper

new toy will probably be good enough but dont give it to him until they start the skin testing.  good luck! 

Also, some allergy office have a toy closet. Mine does and my son goes straight to the closet every time (amazing he remembers after not being there for months). But that depends if the office caters to many kids. 

This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"