South Florida Babies
Options

?s re: traveling with a 2-year old...

We'll be flying to AZ in October for SILs wedding and LO has never been on a plane...  Our family trips so far have been road trips and the furthest we've gone is Naples...

We'll be driving in AZ so I need a car seat - can we take that on the plane?  Someone mentioned that I can strap the car seat to LO's seat on the plane (we're getting him is own seat)...  is that right?  Honestly, I've never noticed anyone do this on a flight, but I can't remember being on too many flights with toddlers either so...

Also, what do you recommend if his ears "pop"?  He doesn't drink from bottles anymore, but I can bring one with water or juice if that'll work.

We are going to try and get on an early morning flight (non-stop), so hopefully he'll be having breakfast as soon as we take off and maybe nap during the flight.  We're bringing the iPad and a fav toy/book - anything else you would suggest?  I'm getting a bit anxious about the trip already...

TIA!

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: ?s re: traveling with a 2-year old...

• Options

Yes you can strap the car seat to the plane seat.  In case you opt to just have him sit in his seat your are still allowed to bring the car seat and a stroller which they will put away when you enter the plane...  These do not count as allowed carry on baggage so they are free of charge.

We are traveling with dd this Saturday, 2 days before her 2nd birthday, but this is about the 5th or 6th air trip for her, yet the first since she stopped using bottles.  We only allow binky use when she sleeps at night but on this trip we are giving it to her when the plane takes off and when it is going to land since the suction is what protects their little ears.  If he doesn't take a binky at all you can try a lollipop or anything he can suction on. 

Aside from a favorite book or toy I always additionally bring a new one in case she loses interest in the already known ones the surprise of something new usually works with us!

BTW early morning flights in our experience have been the very best for dd!

Good Luck!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options

ditto above

You can either use the car seat on the plane or gate check it right before you board the plane.  Make sure the car seat says it's FAA approved.

You'll need a gate check tag for it and the stroller if that's what you wish to do.  They should have the gate check things available to you at the gate when you land.

Stickers are fun for traveling.  GL and have fun!

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Thank you so much for the advice/suggestions!  I didn't even know I could bring the car seat onboard and have them hold it for me!  Big Smile
  • Options

No exprerience, but my friend just flew with her kids from Tampa, and she bought a strap that attachs the car seat to the carryon luggage... so she pulled the baby with the carseat as it were luggage.  Then she just left the carseat in the gate checkin.  If you want, I can inquire on this strap.  Let me know.

GL!

-- Jackie
    "If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane" -- Jimmy Buffett Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"