High-Risk Pregnancy

Chances of 2nd HIGH RISK Preganncy??

Hello All,

I'm pretty new to the posting thing.  I gave birth to my son nearly 4yrs ago.  I went into preterm labor at 28wks, after terbutaline and 2 rounds of steroids my labor stopped.  Well at 30 wks I had to be started on the Magnesium drip, by then I was 3cm and 75% effaced.  Fortunately, I was able to continue my pregnancy until 37wks 5d.  When I asked my previous OB/GYN he sd that the chances of a 2nd High risk pregnancy was "iffy", but the nurses were all like it will happen again.  Any comments on this topic.  Is this something I should be worried about while TTC?

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Chances of 2nd HIGH RISK Preganncy??

• Quite similar to my first pregnancy. I went into labor around 25 weeks with shortened cervix and funneling. After 13 weeks on bed rest, I was induced at 38 weeks. Once I got pregnant with my second, I obviously had alot of fears !! My OB was very honest in telling me to "prepare" for bed rest. Yep it happened again ! no pre term labor but I've been taken off of work and put on bed rest due to my cervix shortening. Every pregnancy is different but I think it's something to cosider and prepare for. I asked a TON of questions !! Best of luck to you.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Pregnancy Ticker
  • With my 1st I had an incompetent cervix...21 weeks...we had just found out it was a boy the week prior, all looked great. Then one night I woke up and thought I wet the bed. Got up changed the sheets....went to sleep and again. I figured the baby was pressing my bladder. That was a Friday night...all weekend I was fine, no pain, no more leaking. Monday I woke up with lots of blood....went to the hospital and confirmed the baby had died...no heartbeat...no fluid. My cervic had shortened and dialated and that is why my water broke (Incompetent cervix)...I was in "labor" for almost 2 days to delivery the baby. they had to put a pill in me to help me dialate. The baby was only 10" and 10 oz.  My daughter came the year later (she is now almost 10)...my high risk dr and OB suggested I do the cerclage (at 13 weeks) as a preventative just in case it were to happen again...my cervix always measured great.  She came on her due date 4 weeks after the cerclage was removed. I now have a 9 month old...again did the cerclage early on 15 weeks...he came 5 days after his due date, almost 5 weeks after the cerclage was removed.  Again great cervix length the whole time.  I am expecting again...I spoke to my OB about perhaps the 1st time was a fluke and do I really need the cerclage being that I had no issues with my cervix funneling or shortening and delivered well after it was removed...he said there is always the risk and it can happen overnight, why risk it (which is why I did it the other two times anyway).  So, yes...it can mean you have high risk chances again but can have a normal healthy pregnancy too...once you are labeled high risk I think it sticks with  you  The perk is that we get to see our babies on u/s a lot more often :)
    Natalia
    Konstantino
    Maximo
    image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    FOLLOW ME ON PINTEREST https://pinterest.com/raffaella1030/
  • Loading the player...
  • I have wondered the same exact thing.  I had incompetent cervix with my twins that I had to deliver at 22 weeks and now am pregnant with again, singleton and had cerclage at 13 weeks. My Dr's have said that it could have been just that I was pregnant with twins but we don't really know as of yet.  Last night I had a dream and I delivered my little girl that I am pregnant with now and everything was good so hoping and praying that the dream becomes a reality. Every week thus far my cervix has been measuring around 4.7cm long but I am scared to death that the same think is going to happen.  I go in weekly to be checked but I also know that things can literally change overnight with no symptoms so I just keep praying!!!  Lina~ your story gives me hope!
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker PCOS 2006-2008 Clomid and Metformin all BFN cycles 2008-2009 3 IUI's all BFN Feb 2010 IVF hyperstimulated April 2010 FET#1 BFP with twins m/c at 8 weeks Sept 2010 FET#2 BFP with Brody and Harper born at 22 weeks from IC May 2011 FET#3 BFP with singleton, cerclage placed at 13.5 weeks Neelie Grace born 37.5weeks on Jan 4 2012
  • imagecbleahy@comcast.net:
    I have wondered the same exact thing.  I had incompetent cervix with my twins that I had to deliver at 22 weeks and now am pregnant with again, singleton and had cerclage at 13 weeks. My Dr's have said that it could have been just that I was pregnant with twins but we don't really know as of yet.  Last night I had a dream and I delivered my little girl that I am pregnant with now and everything was good so hoping and praying that the dream becomes a reality. Every week thus far my cervix has been measuring around 4.7cm long but I am scared to death that the same think is going to happen.  I go in weekly to be checked but I also know that things can literally change overnight with no symptoms so I just keep praying!!!  Lina~ your story gives me hope!

I pray that you will have a great remainder of your pregnancy and will deliver a beautiful full term baby.  My high risk dr and OB joke around and say...its funny (well not really) how the babies don't stay in without the cerclage and then when it is removed they stay in there close to or past their due date!  I know you will carry this little one to term :)

Natalia
    Konstantino
    Maximo
    image Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    FOLLOW ME ON PINTEREST https://pinterest.com/raffaella1030/
  • Like someone else stated, I think once you're labeled high risk it pretty much just stays with you. My first was born at 36 weeks due to pPROM, so with my second pregnancy I was considered high risk for PTL (we weren't super worried since he was born late preterm). And then at 30 weeks, I was hospitalized for PTL (I started dilating) and then sent home on bed rest and meds for 6 weeks. During that time, she also developed IUGR so I was induced at 37 weeks. So this time, I'm high risk again for sure. We're going to try progesterone injections this time around so I'm crossing my fingers we'll have less issues with PTL. We'll see!
  • Thank You all!!. I really appreciate the comments they were all very enlightening
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"