April 2011 Moms

Babysitting ?

The post on 3-6 got me thinking. When (as in under what circumstances) do you pay a sitter?

Background: We are a military family, stationed 1000s of miles from family, and I rely on a few casual friends to watch LO for things like Drs appointments I can't take him to. I feel like this is something I would do (and have done) for them and not expect anything, but maybe I'm in the wrong there? Do you pay friends who watch your LO for things like Drs appointments? Would be appropriate to maybe not pay them but then send a thank you note and gift card?

For date nights, we normally get the friend who watches him a GC to starbucks or the local movie theater, or trade them for a night out while we watch their kids.

Warning No formatter is installed for the format bbhtml

Re: Babysitting ?

• If it's a friend helping us out, that usually falls under the "favor" category and we don't pay.  To me it's the same as if my MIL offered to help with the kids, and I would repay a favor to them in kind, like babysitting for them, bringing them dinner one night, etc.  If it's someone we have specifically asked to watch our kids so DH and I can go out somewhere, we pay, and we don't hire or ask friends for that kind of help.  We have designated sitters we rely on if my MIL can't help us out.
    imageimageimage
  • I've only had family watch him so far. They are lining up around the block, so I don't pay anyone because it would be unnecessary. If I needed to ask a friend for a favor, I might get them a small Starbucks gift certificate, but they would be horrified if I tried to actually pay them for helping us out. None of them have kids yet, but as they start to, I imagine we'll be relying on each other here and there for small favors. I think that babysitting trade is a great way to get free babysitting without feeling like you owe anyone anything.
  • Loading the player...
  • We've only had friends watch LO & usually we bring them a bottle of wine or GC to their favorite restaurant.
    Wallace is a big brother!
    imageimage
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Thanks ladies. Seems like I'm on the right track then.
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"